Spicy Corn Fritters with Cilantro Cream – an easy delicious recipe that works as an appetizer or vegetarian main! www.feastingathome.com
- 1 Cup flour (or use gluten-free flour blend, like Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tablespoon coriander ( toasted, ground whole seeds are nice here too)
- 2 beaten eggs
- 2/3 cup whole milk, nut milk or half and half
- 2 tablespoons lime juice, and zest of one lime
- 3 cups fresh cut corn kernels (2 1/2 – 3 ears) Or use frozen, thawed.
- ½ cup diced red bell pepper
- 4 scallions chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped packed cilantro
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese (or sub other melty cheese)
- 1–2 tablespoons finely minced jalapeno ( remove seeds, about 1/2 jalapeno)
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Make FRITTER BATTER: In a large bowl, combine first 6 dry ingredients, mix well. In a smaller bowl whisk milk, eggs, zest and lime juice. Whisk wet into dry and making a batter. It is OK if there are tiny clumps, but work the big ones out with the whisk. Fold in the remainder of the ingredients; corn, bell pepper, jalapeño, cilantro, scallions, cheddar. It should be a relatively thick batter- mounding on a spoon, so feel free to add a little more flour to get consistency right.
- Cook Fritters: Heat a large heavy-bottomed skillet ( I use a cast iron skillet) with a generous amount of oil, mixed with a little butter (optional) on medium-high heat. Wait until the oil is hot, and turn the heat down to medium. Place rounded spoonfuls of fritter batter (2 inch round fritters) carefully into skillet and cook for about 3 minutes on each side until crispy and beautifully golden. Add more oil if necessary. Cook in batches, moving fritters to a sheet pan and transferring to a warm 350 F oven. Don’t worry if they are still a touch doughy in the middle, they will continue to cook in the oven. Bake until puffed, about 10-15 minutes.
- Make Cilantro Cream: In a food processor, pulse cilantro cream ingredients until blend until smooth. Serve on the side.
- Garnish with cilantro, lime and your favorite Hot sauce.
- Serving Size: 2 fritters
- Calories: 275
Keywords: corn fritters, best corn fritters, corn cakes, corn fritter recipe, corn fritters recipe, corn cakes recipe