Grilled Chipotle Fish Tacos with a refreshing Peach Salsa. Summery and light with a little bit of smoky heat.
- 1 pound grill-able white fish – Mahi Mahi, Tilapia, halibut, Black cod, Snapper- Or substitute Portobello Mushrooms or Extra Firm Tofu.
- 8 x six-inch tortillas (corn-flour mix) Grilled
- Lime and cilantro for garnish
- Optional garnishes: grilled scallions, avocado, chipotle mayo, pickled onions
Chipotle Marinade Ingredients:
- 2–3 large garlic cloves
- 2 –3 whole chipotles
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce ( from the can of chipotles)
- 4 tablespoon olive oil
- zest from one lime
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt ( more to taste)
- cracked black pepper
Peach Salsa Ingredients:
- 2 1/2 cups diced, just-ripe peaches (about 3–4 peaches)
- 1/4 cups finely diced red onion
- 1– 2 teaspoon minced habanero ( or use jalapeño for less spicy)
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro ( tender stems ok)
- 1/8 cup fresh lime juice, or more to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt or more to taste
- 1 tsp sugar
- Make the marinade: In a food processor, blend all the marinade ingredients into a fine paste. Rub fish (or portos or tofu) generously with marinade and let marinate at least 20 minutes, or overnight in the fridge. (You could also freeze fish in the marinade in a ziplock bag and save for later or take it camping with you).
- Make the Peach Salsa: Very gently, rub the peaches with a towel to remove fuzz, keeping the skin intact. Dice and place in medium bowl. Half and seed the habanero, and mince it as small as possible. Sprinkle only 1 teaspoon of habanero, over the peaches (about 1/3 of the habanero). You can always add more, so start conservatively. Add the rest of the ingredients, and gently fold them together. Obviously you want to spread the habanero evenly through the salsa, but at the same time, try not to over mix. Refrigerate.
- Grill: Preheat grill to med-high, and grease the grates well. Place fish using a thin metal spatula. After a few minutes and grill marks appear, turn over. After 2-3 minutes, move to a cooler spot, or turn heat down to medium-low, cover grill and finish cooking until its cooked to your desired done-ness. You could also finish in the oven. Give fish a good squeeze of lime, and taste for salt, adding if necessary.
- Give the tortillas a quick sear on the grill.
- Assemble and Serve: Either assemble the tacos by placing the fish in the tortillas and topping with peach salsa. Feel free to add avocado, chipotle mayo or grilled scallions. Skewer to keep closed. Or serve family style on a platter with stacked tortillas wrapped up in a towel, extra lime and cilantro.
Feel free to serve with hot sauce.
Keywords: fish tacos, grilled fish tacos, peach salsa, peach salsa recipe, fish taco recipes, chipotle fish tacos