A flavorful recipe for Chicken Mole is made with Black Mole Sauce (Mole Negro)- smoky, spicy and nutty with dried chilies, and a hint of chocolate. A flavorful Oaxacan-inspired meal.
- one batch Mole Negro Sauce
- one batch Pickled onions
- 2 1/2 – 3 lbs chicken thighs (boneless, skinless)
- 2– 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup broth or stock
- Make the pickled onions and refrigerate.
- Make the Mole Negro Sauce(feel free to make this ahead)
- Prep and cook the chicken:
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Mix the salt and spices together in a small bowl. (Aim for 1 teaspoon salt per pound of chicken). Sprinkle the chicken on all sides with the salt-spice rub.
- Heat the oil in a large oven-proof skillet or dutch oven over medium-high heat. Sear the chicken until golden on both sides. Add the stock, then add the Mole Negro sauce, (saving a little of it up for touching up at the end). Give the pan a good shake and make sure the chicken is coated well and nestled in. It may seem like a lot of sauce, but the extra sauce will get mopped up, I promise!
- Cover and place in the oven until the thighs are cooked all the way through,(165F) about 20 minutes. Test a piece for tenderness, it should pull apart easily with two forks. You can either leave the thighs whole or lightly shred (best for tacos). If leaving whole, feel free to lather up with remaining Mole sauce.
- Sprinkle with toasted sesame seed and cilantro.
If you want to use less Mole Negro sauce, the leftover sauce will keep 4 days in the fridge or can be frozen. You can use the sauce in chili!
- Serving Size: 6 ounces chicken with mole sauce (does not include rice or sides)
- Calories: 469
- Sugar: 3 g
- Sodium: 1572.3 mg
- Fat: 20.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 33 g
- Fiber: 5.9 g
- Protein: 38.9 g
- Cholesterol: 160.1 mg
Keywords: Chicken mole, mole chicken, Mole negro, chicken Mole recipe, chicken mole negro recipe, mole negro recipe