Ultra comforting and dreamy Creamy Cauliflower Soup with Thyme and Sharp Cheddar is easy to love. Simple to make and Vegan adaptable! (see recipe notes)
- 2 medium shallots, 1 cup (4 oz) sliced small
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 1 head cauliflower, 4 cups (1 lb) cut in to small pieces
- 1 small sweet potato (not yam), 1 cup (6 oz) cut in small chunks
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, adjust to taste
- 1/4–1/2 teaspoon black pepper, adjust to taste
- 1 quart or 4 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar, more to taste (the stronger and sharper the cheese the less you need to use)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- In a large pot, or dutch oven, sauté shallots and garlic in butter or olive oil for 5 minutes, over medium-low heat.
- Add cauliflower, sweet potato, thyme, salt, pepper, and broth. (If making vegan, add cashews now- see recipe notes). Simmer for 25-30 minutes, until vegetables are fork-tender.
- If you like a few chunks in your soup, take out a cup of the veggies, set aside, and transfer the remaining soup to a blender, filling just halfway (you may need to do it in two batches) Be careful, hot soup can explode. Start slow and vent the blender lid so steam pressure can escape. Blend until smooth.
- Return to the soup pot. Add cheese and dijon, stirring to melt cheese in, turn on low heat if needed to fully melt. If you saved aside veggie chunks add them back in now. Add more broth or milk to desired constancy.
Keeps in the fridge 4 days.
The stronger the cheese the less you need. Good options: extra sharp cheddar, gruyere, comté.
Optional Bread Crumb Topping: 1 garlic clove, 2 pieces of bread- crumble together in food processor. Toast in a skillet over medium heat along with 2 Tablespoons butter (or oil) gently toast stirring constantly for about 5 minutes. Add a pinch of salt and pepper and 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley.
Substitute equal parts carrot and potato for the same amount as the sweet potato.
Vegan option: add 1/2 cup of raw cashews in with the vegetables to simmer.
Vegan topping: Vegan Cheesy Sprinkle
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 180
- Sugar: 3.6 g
- Sodium: 904.6 mg
- Fat: 12.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 5.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 11.1 g
- Fiber: 2.3 g
- Protein: 7.7 g
- Cholesterol: 22 mg
Keywords: creamy cauliflower soup, cauliflower cheddar soup, cheddar cauliflower soup