Crunchy nutty Quinoa Salad with Carrots, Almonds, Cilantro and Raw Apple Cider Vinaigrette – a simple flavorful vegan salad that can be made ahead- perfect for potlucks, gathering and midweek meals!
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 1 ½ cups water, pinch salt
- 3 cups carrots, grated or matchstick ( about 8 ounces)
- 1–2 cups celery, sliced
- 3 scallions, sliced at a diagnol
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped ( tender stems ok) or sub Italian parsley
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- ½ cup chopped almonds, toasted
- ½ teaspoon cayenne or aleppo chili flakes ( optional)
- ½ teaspoon allspice, optional
- salt, apple cider vinegar and pepper to taste
Raw Apple Cider Vinaigrette:
Place 1 cup quinoa in a medium pot with 1 ½ cups water and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, cover, simmer on low heat 12 minutes (or until water is gone). Turn heat off, let stand 5 minutes, then let cool uncovered.
While the quinoa is cooking make the Raw Apple Cider Vinaigrette. Place all ingredients in a small bowl and whisk, or in a small jar, sealed with a lid and shaken.
Place carrots, celery, scallions, cilantro, garlic and almonds in a large bowl. Toss with the vinaigrette and the cooled quinoa. Add more salt, pepper and vinegar to taste. Sprinkle in the cayenne and optional allspice.
Toss well and serve or refrigerate until serving.
Salad with keep 3-4 days in the fridge. If making ahead, be sure to taste right before serving and adjust salt and vinegar one more time.
To cool quinoa quickly, place in a strainer and run under cold water. Let it sit in the stainer for a few minutes so it drains well!
Feel free to add chickpeas, or top avocado right before serving for extra heartiness.
Top with fresh sprouts or micro-greens!
Keywords: carrot quinoa salad, quinoa salad with carrots, quinoa almond salad, vegan salad recipes, vegan salads, carrot salad recipe,