Blackened Cajun Tempeh with Avocado, Kale, Radishes, pickled onions and Creamy VEGAN Ranch spiked with cajun spices that can be made into an entree salad, wrap or healthy Bowl.
Cajun Vegan Ranch Dressing
- ⅓ cup vegan ranch dressing (or sub your favorite store-bought ranch)
- ½ –1 teaspoon cajun spice blend (or sub ¼ teaspoon paprika, and 1/4 teaspoon cayenne)
- 1 block tempeh
- 2–3 tablespoons Cajun Spice like Black Magic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4–5 leaves of lacinato kale, tough stems removed ( or use 3 cups pre-shredded kale )
- 1 teaspoon oil, pinch salt, lemon zest from ½ a lemon
- 4 radishes, sliced ( or sub cucumber slices… or ribbons are nice)
- 1 scallion, sliced
- 1 avocado, sliced
- ¼ cup pickled onions ( optional)
- Optional add-ons sprouts or microgreens, cooked quinoa, large whole wheat tortillas, sauerkraut.
- Stir the cajun spice into the dressing, starting conservatively. Taste, and add more to taste. You want it bold!
- Add the tempeh, whole to a sauté pan of generously salted water, just enough to cover it. Let simmer gently 8-10 minutes to help soften and reduce bitterness. Slice it into ½ inch wide slices and generously coat each side with Cajun Spices.
- Pan-sear the tempeh in a little oil, until crispy and heated through. Set aside.
- Stack the kale ( removing any thick stems) and cut in to thin ribbons. Place in a bowl and add a teaspoon or two of olive oil ( just enough to barely coat) a pinch salt and lemon zest. Massage with your fingers until tender. To the kale add the radishes, scallion, pickled onion and avocado. Toss with some of the Vegan Ranch dressing, enough to coat. ( You can also keep everything separate, especially if making grain bowls)
- Either divide the salad among bowls or place it in a warm, whole wheat tortillas, topped with the blackened tempeh and sprouts.
- The salad is hearty enough that it will taste good the next day.
Keywords: tempeh recipes, how to cook tempeh, blackened tempeh, cajun tempeh wrap, tempeh wrap, blacked tempeh salad,