A simple recipe for Zucchini Lasagna Roll Ups (aka, Zucchini Rollatini) with Spinach and Basil, a flavorful vegetarian entree that highlights the best of summer ingredients. Low-carb and Vegan Adaptable! | www.feastingathome.com
- 3 large zucchini (7– 8 inches long, 2–3 inches wide, straight as possible.)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, rough chopped
- 1 shallot, diced
- 3 ounces spinach (a big, giant handful)
- 1 cup ricotta cheese ( or sub vegan ricotta)
- 2 ounces grated mozzarella cheese ( ½ cup), smoked mozzarella is really good here
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ cup basil, chopped, or ribbons
- pinch of chili flakes, optional
- l-2 teaspoons lemon zest, optional
- 2 cups marinara sauce ( store-bought-Trader Joe’s Organic Marinara is good- or homemade)
Preheat oven to 400 F, and set grill to high heat (if grilling)
Trim both ends of zucchini and thinly slice into ¼ inch wide, vertical slices. Aim for twelve. Very lightly brush with olive oil, and either place on a parchment lined sheet pan and roast, or grill each side (turning the grill down to medium). Grill or roast until tender and pliable. Test one by trying to roll it up. If grilling, it helps to cover the zucchini after grilling with foil, so it steams slightly.
While the zucchini is roasting or grilling, make the filling. Saute the garlic and shallot in olive oil over medium heat, careful not to burn. Once golden, add the spinach, stir, lower heat, cover for a moment, and let it wilt. Add this to a bowl with the ricotta, mozzerella, egg, salt and pepper and the basil. Stir and some chili flakes and lemon zest if you like.
Place one cup marinara in the bottom of a greased 9 x 13 inch baking dish.
Spread each zucchini slice with the ricotta mixture, and gently roll up, placeing them seam side down in the baking dish over the marina. Top with a dollop of marinara and more mozzarella (optional) and cover with foil and bake at 400 F for 15- 20 minutes. Remove foil and continue baking for 5-10 more minutes, or until cheese is melty and golden.
Before serving, sprinkle with fresh basil ribbons.
Keywords: Zucchini lasagna roll ups, zucchini lasagna rolls, zucchini roll ups, zucchini rolls, healthy zucchini roll ups, vegan zucchini roll ups