An authentic recipe for Za’atar Spice – a flavorful Middle Eastern Spice that can be used to season hummus, baba ganoush, vegetables, meats, etc. (My Egyptian Dad’s recipe.)
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme– crushed (or sub oregano)
- 1 tablespoon cumin (see instructions about whole or ground)
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon sumac
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon or more aleppo chili flakes- optional
- Mix all the ingredients together in a small bowl. Store in an airtight container.
- For the most flavor, toast whole seeds (cumin seeds and coriander seeds) until fragrant, then grind. This will make the most flavorful zaatar. If you don’t have whole seeds, feel free to use ground spices.
There are many variations of Zaatar. This was my dad’s recipe- he was Egyptian. Other regions have different versions. There is not one “right” way. It varies from area to area, and even household to household.
This Villa Jerada Zaatar Spice Blend is lovely if you rather purchase it! Made in Seattle!
- Calories: 15
Keywords: zaatar, za'atar, zaatar recipe , zaatar spices, za'atar recipe, za'atar spices, za'atar spice recipe