Cool and refreshing Watermelon Gazpacho with cucumber, bell pepper and avocado. Vegan and gluten free, this soup is light, healthy and delicious!
- 1 red bell pepper, divided
- ¼ cup red onion, rough chopped
- 1 english cucumber- 3 cups
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 medium tomato
- ½ a jalapeno (medium spicy- add more or less, for more or less spicy)
- 4 cups cubed watermelon, divided
- ¼– ½ cup Italian parsley ( or part dill)
- ½ teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt, more to taste
- 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- thinly sliced beet- ( optional) see notes
- ½ cup finely chopped cucumber or finely sliced fennel bulb
- ½ cup finely chopped red or yellow bell pepper
- 1–2 tablespoons finely diced onion
- handful halved or sliced cherry tomatoes
- sliced radishes
- 1 avocado – sliced
- handful sprouts, or fresh dill
- a few edible flowers
In a blender, place ¾ of the bell pepper ( rough chopped), onion, 3 cups cucumber, garlic, tomato, jalapeño, and only 2 cups of the watermelon. Blend. Add herbs, spices, salt, vinegar. Blend to combine.
Optional: To deepen the red color, add a thin slice or two of fresh beet. Blend.
Add the rest of the watermelon and pulse a few times. Taste, adjust salt. Chill until very cold.
Serve in a bowl and top with a few or all of the optional garnishes. These really add good texture to the soup, so don’t skimp out on these!
If the soup tastes too sweet, add a little more vinegar and/ or salt. The beet slices will deepen the color of the soup- just use a few, very thin, raw pieces and blend in it.
You can stir in the “garnishes” to the batch of soup, instead of placing them on top as a garnish.