Cool and refreshing, Watermelon Gazpacho is just what the doctor ordered on hot summer days! This cold watermelon soup is chilled, then topped with cool, crunchy cucumber, red onion, red bell pepper, avocado, microgreens, and fresh herbs; it’s a treat for the senses and nourishes the body!
- 1 red bell pepper, rough chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion, roughly chopped
- 3 cups cucumber, peeled
- 1–2 garlic cloves
- 1 large red tomato, quartered
- 3 cups seedless watermelon, cut into cubes.
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt, more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika (not smoked)
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne or piment d’ ville, more to taste
- 4 tablespoons sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar, more to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup Italian parsley – or use half mint, finely chopped
Toppings (pick a 2-3, or all)
- 1/2 cup finely diced watermelon
- 1/2 cup finely chopped cucumber
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red or yellow bell pepper
- 1–2 tablespoons finely diced red onion
- 1–2 tablespoons finely diced jalapeno
- 1/2 cup halved or sliced cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup sliced radishes
- 1 avocado – sliced
- a handful microgreens,
- fresh herbs, edible flowers
- olive oil for drizzling
- Aleppo or urfa biber
- In a blender, add the red bell pepper, onion, peeled cucumber, garlic, tomato, watermelon, salt, pepper, coriander, paprika, cayenne, vinegar and olive oil. Blend until smooth. Stir in the chopped herbs. Taste and adjust vinegar and more salt to taste. It should have a little tang, so if overly sweet, add more vinegar. See notes for getting more “red”.
- Chill until very cold, and prepare the toppings.
- Serve in a bowl and top with a few or all of the optional toppings. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and Aleppo pepper or urfa fiber. The toppings really add good texture to the soup, so don’t skimp out on these!
You can stir in the “garnishes” to the batch of soup (expect avocado and sprouts), instead of placing them on top as a garnish.
Catering Tip: To get this more vibrant red- do not blend in the herbs or cucumber skins into the soup (or anything green) which will turn the soup yellow-brown. Paprika will add redness, a little tomato paste can help too or a little sliver of red beet (raw or cooked) or beet powder. Keep the green ingredients out of the blender- and use as the toppings.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 161
- Sugar: 9.4 g
- Sodium: 404 mg
- Fat: 10.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 16.2 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 2.3 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: watermelon gazpacho, chilled watermelon soup