How to make Vegetable Broth! A nutritious and deeply flavorful recipe to enhance your soups, risottos, sauces, and more.
- 2 large onions, roughly chopped
- 1/2 lb mushrooms
- 2 large carrots, cut in chunks
- 2 celery stems, some inner leaves are fine, chopped
- 1 leek or 1 bunch scallions or a handful of chives, chopped in rounds
- 1 head of garlic, cut tips off the head
- 1 tomato, quartered
- 1/2 apple or pear, sliced
- 1 hand full of parsley with stems
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon dulse flakes (optional)
- 5 quarts of cold water
- See post body for other additions to elevate this.
- Saute onions, mushrooms, and celery in a little olive oil for 15 minutes or until lightly carmelized.
- Add carrots, leeks, garlic, tomato, apple, parsley, bay leaves, basil, peppercorns, salt, dulse flakes and water.
- Bring to a gentle boil. Turn down to a simmer cover with a with a lid slightly vented for an hour.
- Let cool. Strain.
If you prefer not to sauté, just skip that step and throw everything in the pot to simmer.
Keeps in fridge 5 days.
Freeze in pint and quart portions for easy prep. If freezing in jars, leave 1-inch headroom.
Keywords: vegetable stock, vegetable broth, veggie broth, the best vegetable stock, how to make vegetable stock, vegetable stock recipe