Bursting with Mexican flavor, this Vegan Pozole with black beans and hominy is richly spiced with deep, complex flavors.
- 2–4 dry guaillo chilies
- 1 onion, chopped small
- 1 poblano chili, chopped small
- 4 garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle powder,or ancho or smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon epazote or 2 bay leaves
- 6 cups (32 ounces) vegetable broth, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/3 cup cilantro stems
- 2 cup colored bell peppers, chopped
- 2 1/2 cups (30 ounces) hominy
- 3 1/2 cups (2 15 ounce cans) black bean
- fresh cilantro
- fresh lime
- tortilla crisps or corn chips
- shredded cabbage
- Remove the seeds from the guaillo chilies and tear into chunks. Dry fry in a skillet until they just start to turn darker and smell fragrant about 2 minutes. Set aside.
- Sauté the onions and poblano for about 5 minutes with oil. Add minced garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano, chipotle powder and epazote (or bay leaves) sauté about 1 minute until fragrant. Add 4 cups of the vegetable broth and salt. Bring to a simmer.
- Add the remaining 2 cups of broth to a blender, add the guaillo chilies, tomato paste and cilantro stems and blend until smooth and add into the soup pot.
- Add hominy and black beans, simmer 10 minutes. Add in bell peppers cook just another few minutes until peppers are just tender.
Serve with all your favorite toppings!
Check the salt content in the broth, beans and hominy and adjust accordingly.
If you want to thicker soup add 1-2 tablespoons masa flour to the broth.
- Serving Size: Generous cup
- Calories: 302
- Sugar: 6.8 g
- Sodium: 787.2 mg
- Fat: 2.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 60.9 g
- Fiber: 13.1 g
- Protein: 13.9 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegan pozole, vegan pozole recipe, vegan posole, vegetarian pozole, pozole vegan