This smoky, crispy Vegan Bacon is made with tofu and is perfectly chewy and savory. A delicious plant-based protein, perfect for breakfast, BLTs, wraps, sandwiches, pasta, and buddha bowls.
- 16 ounces firm or extra firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari (I prefer low sodium)
- 2 tablespoons smoked shoyu (or regular soy +2 drops liquid smoke)
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon chipotle powder (or canned in adobo sauce)
- 1–2 tablespoons coconut oil (or other oil suitable for medium-high heat)
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Drain and slice tofu 1/8″ thick. Lay out on an oiled sheet pan.
- Mix the soy, smoked Shoyu, maple syrup, smoked paprika, coriander, black pepper and chipotle powder. Spoon half of the mixture over tofu, spreading out to the edges with the back of the spoon. Bake 15 minutes.
- Remove tofu from oven and carefully with a metal spatula, flip tofu over and baste with the remaining marinade. Bake 15 minutes more.
- Let cool for 15 minutes (or refrigerate until ready to use).
- Heat a skillet and fry tofu over medium heat until crisp 1-2 minutes per side.
The vegan bacon can be baked ahead and refrigerated for up to 5 days, reheated in the skillet as needed throughout the week.
- Serving Size: 1 1/2 slices
- Calories: 93
- Sugar: 5.2 g
- Sodium: 114.1 mg
- Fat: 4.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 8.2 g
- Fiber: 1.5 g
- Protein: 5.6 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegan bacon, vegan bacon recipe, tofu bacon, tofu bacon recipe,