How to make the BEST Tzatziki Sauce! An easy, healthy, Greek cucumber-yogurt sauce to use in mezze platters, wraps, gyros, or as a simple dip for pita, or as a delightful side to Mediterranean dishes. This SIMPLE recipe can be made in 15 minutes!
- 1 English Cucumber ( or 3–4 Turkish cucumbers), two cups grated (see notes)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Greek yogurt ( thick, whole milk, full fat) or sub vegan yogurt or thick low fat yogurt.
- 1 fat garlic clove, finely minced (use a garlic press)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill or mint (or a combo of both)
- a squeeze of lemon to taste
- drizzle of olive oil
- If using thin-skinned cucumbers, there is no need to peel. Grate the cucumbers using a box grater, and place in a fine mesh strainer. Toss with the salt and place the strainer over a bowl and let sit 10-15 minutes to allow cucumbers to release their liquid, while you prep the remaining ingredients.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the yogurt, garlic and fresh herbs.
- Pressing down with your fingers, remove any more liquid from the cucumber that you can. You will end up with one cup of cucumber. Fold the strained cucumber into the yogurt mixture.
- Taste, adding lemon juice if you like) to taste. Yogurt can vary in tartness, to adding lemon to taste is important. Season with pepper and more salt if needed. If you want more richness, stir in a drizzle of olive oil. You can also drizzle olive oil over the top in a circular motion right before serving.
- Garnish with fresh herbs and keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
Tzatziki will keep 4-5 days in the fridge and can be made one day ahead before an event.
If using thick-skinned, waxy cucumbers, make sure to peel. Sometimes waxy cucumbers also have large seeds, feel free to remove them.
If using non-fat or low-fat yogurt stir in a couple of tablespoons of olive oil. I really don’t recommend non-fat yogurt here, but you do you. 😉
***This works with vegan yogurt.
In a pinch, dry dill or dry mint will work- not quite as good, but better than nothing!
- Serving Size: ¼ cup
- Calories: 39
- Sugar: 1.9 g
- Sodium: 158.5 mg
- Fat: 1.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 2.6 g
- Fiber: 0.2 g
- Protein: 3.4 g
- Cholesterol: 4.6 mg
Keywords: Tzatziki, Tzatziki recipe, Tzatziki sauce recipe, tzatziki sauce vegan, Best Tzatziki, Best tzatziki sauce, Easy tzatziki, Keto tzatziki, Tzatziki sauce recipe, best tzatziki recipe, authentic tzatziki, authentic tzatziki recipe