September-14-2013 -Kale Caesar Salad with lacinato kale, lemon zest, garlic and pecorino, topped with toasted millet croutons. The croutons are gluten-free and fun to make!
Millet Croutons ( makes 20 x one inch croutons)
- 1/2 cup dry millet
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp granulated garlic
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan or other cheese like cheddar
- 1/2 tsp rosemary, sage or thyme- optional
- 1 large bunch Lacinato Kale, ribs removed
- 2–3 tablespoons olive oil
- generous pinch Salt
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced (use a garlic press)
- 1–2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1–2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4– 1/2 cup finely grated pecorino
- Pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts , walnuts or toasted pumpkin seeds
- optional additions: finely minced anchovy , pickled onions, capers
- Make croutons. Place all millet ingredients except for the cheese in a small pot. Bring to a boil. Cover and turn heat to low, and let simmer for 25 minutes. Stir in cheese, taste for salt, add pepper if you want.
- Using olive oil, grease a small sheet pan. With a greased spatula, spread millet evenly to about 1 inch thick. Brush olive oil over the top and place in the freezer for 45 minutes or fridge for 4-6 hours until firm and set.
- Once cool and firm, cut into 1-inch cubes and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet -upside down. ( So the top of cooled millet will now be on the bottom). If you don’t have parchment, make sure to grease a sheet pan well, and use a metal spatula to loosen them.
- Bake in a 425 F oven until golden and crispy, about 25-35 minutes. While croutons are in the oven prepare the salad.
- While croutons are in the oven prepare the Kale Salad. Cut de-ribbed kale into small size pieces. Massage kale with your fingers with a little olive oil, salt and garlic until tender (about 5 minutes). Add the lemon zest, lemon juice, and finely grated pecorino and pepper.
- Toss in the toasted nuts or seeds, any of the optional additions, taste, adjust salt, pepper and lemon, then and add the warm croutons.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Calories: 245
Keywords: kale caesar, gluten free croutons, millet recipes, millet croutons, kale caesar salad recipe,