Kale Ceasar Salad with Millet Croutons by sylvia fountaine, feasting at home blog September-14-2013 A twist on the familiar-kale replaces romaine and millet replaces bread…a great gluten free caesar salad
- 1 Bunch Lacinato Kale, ribs removed
- Drizzle olive oil
- Pinch Salt
- Shaved pecorino or Parmesan -for tossing
- 2 T Pine nuts or toasted pumpkin seeds– optional
- Lemony Caesar Dressing:
- 1/8 C plus 1 T good quality olive oil
- 2 T fresh lemon juice
- Zest from one lemon
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/8 tsp salt plus more to taste
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 minced anchovy ( optional)
- 2 tsp capers ( optional)
- Millet croutons ( makes 20 x one inch croutons)
- 1/2 C millet
- 2 C water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp granulated garlic
- 1/2 C packed grated Parmesan
- 1/2 tsp fresh rosemary- optional
- Make croutons. Place all millet ingredients except for the cheese in a small pot. Bring to a boil. Cover and turn heat to low, and let simmer for 25 minutes. Stir in cheese, taste for salt, add pepper if you want.
- Using olive oil, grease a loaf pan or small sheet pan. With a greased spatula, spread millet evenly to about 1 inch thick. Brush olive oil over the top and place in the freezer for 45 minutes or fridge for 4-6 hours until firm and set.
- Once cool and firm, cut into 1 inch cubes and place on a parchment lined backing sheet -up side down. ( So the top of cooled millet will now be on the bottom). If you don’t have parchment, make sure to grease a sheet pan well, and use a metal spatula to loosen them. Parchment helps a lot.
- Bake in a 425 F oven until golden and crispy, about 25-35 minutes. While croutons are in the oven prepare the salad.
- Cut de-ribbed kale into small size pieces. Massage with a little olive oil and pinch salt until tender (about 5 minutes). Massaging will make kale less bitter. Let stand 10-15 minutes. Make the dressing by combining all ingredients together in a small bowl or jar. Toss some dressing with the massaged kale ( you may not need all) and add the warm croutons and some shaved pecorino cheese. Sometimes I’ll add toasted pine nuts or pumpkin seeds as well. Enjoy!
- Calories: 245
Keywords: kale caesar, gluten free croutons, millet recipes, millet croutons, kale caesar salad recipe,