A flavorful summer drink that is not only refreshing, its healing soothing and detoxing. Made with apple juice instead of sugar, it’s a healthier alternative to lemonade! Spike it if you like for a refreshing cocktail.
- 6 cups fresh apple juice (either freshly juiced apples like gala – about 12-14 apples, or fresh apple cider with no sugar added)
- 1–3 tablespoons fresh turmeric root, no need to peel ( start conservative, taste, add more to taste) or stir in ground turmeric to taste.
- 1/8 cup – 1/4 cup, unpeeled ginger root- or stir in ground ginger to taste.
- 3/4 cup fresh lemon juice, more to taste ( about 3-4 large lemons)
- Using a juicer, juice the apples and place in a large 2 quart mason jar or large pitcher. Alternatively you can use fresh apple cider ( with no sugar added).
- Juice the turmeric root, starting off conservatively, then juice ginger and lemons ( peel the lemons with a pairing knife and put in the juicer.)
- Stir this with the apple juice. Taste. Adjust. It should tasted balanced, sweet and tart, with the heat of ginger in the background ( add more if you want) and a hint of exotic turmeric ( add more to taste).
- Note: if adding little slices of turmeric through the juicer, its ok to pour a little splash of water ( or the apple juice) through the juicer, to get the turmeric to come out.
- Keep in the fridge and serve over ice for a refreshing summer drink, or top off with sparkling water.
Feel free to spike it for a party- bourbon or vodka works great here. Just add to taste.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 123
- Sugar: 24.7 g
- Sodium: 10.6 mg
- Fat: 0.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 30.7 g
- Fiber: 0.6 g
- Protein: 0.4 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: gingerade, turmeric gingerade, apple lemonade, ginger apple lemonade, turmeric lemonade