Turmeric Broth Detox Soup
A healing turmeric broth made with fresh turmeric, ginger and spices that be used as a jumping off point for your own creations. Vegan and Gluten free.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 25 mins
- Yield: 6
- Category: Vegan & Gluten Free
- Cuisine: Soup
FLAVORFUL TURMERIC BROTH
- 1-2 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion- diced
- 1- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, grated or finely minced
- 4-5 garlic cloves- grated or finely minced
- 2 teaspoon turmeric powder (or 3 teaspoons fresh turmeric, finely grated – see notes)
- ¼ teaspoon mustard seed (optional)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- ¾ – 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups water
- 4 cups veggie or chicken stock
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne, or to taste
- 1-3 teaspoons apple cider vinegar – or lime or lemon juice ( to taste)
Other Soup Options:
Middle Eastern “Minestrone”
- ½ cup basmati rice (dry) or pasta, quinoa (or 1 1/2 cup cooked)
- ½ cup little dry lentils (or 1 cup cooked)
- 1 cup cooked garbanzo beans (or canned, drained)
- 1 can diced fire roasted tomatoes ( or use 1-2 cups fresh, diced tomatoes)
- cilantro as garnish
Chickpea Cauliflower Kale Noodle
- 1- 2 cups cooked chickpeas (or chicken)
- 4 ounces dry noodles
- 1-2 cups chopped cauliflower
- 2 large handfuls chopped kale
- Garnish with fresh herbs: cilantro, scallions, mint or dill and serve with lime
- Other veggie options: carrots, celery, fennel, cauliflower, tomatoes, bell pepper, sweet potatoes, greens
- In a large heavy bottom pot or dutch oven, saute onion in 1-2 T olive oil over medium heat for 2-3 minutes. Add ginger. Lower heat to medium low and saute 5 minutes until it begins to brown, stirring often.Add garlic, saute 2 minutes. Add all the spices and cook 1 more minute.
- Add water, stock and salt. Bring to a simmer. Add vinegar or citrus. Taste. Adjust salt, acid and spice level to your liking. At this point you will have a flavorful base to add what you like. You can also refrigerate or freeze this in batches for later use.
- Remember uncooked pasta and beans will double or triple in size, so add moderately.
- Remember to think and be sensible about cooking times for each ingredient you add. (see notes in post )
NOTES: If you are cooking the broth for any length of time, uncovered, remember it will reduce –intensifying the flavor and salt –so you will need to add more water, or it may be too salty. So be sure to dilute the broth to your taste.
- Using ground turmeric gives the soup this lighter golden color you see in the photographs. Fresh grated turmeric gives the broth a deeper color.