These Italian-inspired Turkey Meatballs with Sundried Tomatoes and Basil can be baked in the oven or pan-seared on the stovetop. Simmer them in your favorite marinara sauce for a few minutes, then serve over pasta or with veggies, for a quick healthy weeknight meal.
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1/3 cup sundried tomatoes, (packed in olive oil) chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil (use oil from sun-dried tomatoes if you like)
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup basil, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced (or 1 teaspoon granulated garlic)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup grated pecorino cheese or parmesan
- 2–3 cups marinara sauce
Preheat oven to 425F
With a wet hand, knead the mixture a couple of times then roll to 10-12 equal-sized meatballs. This is easiest if the mixture is cold.
Bake or Pan-sear:
- Bake: Place on a parchment-lined sheet pan and bake at 425F for 10-12 minutes, or until they just start to get golden. Finish cooking them with the marina sauce (capturing all those pan juices) in an oven-proof skillet or baking dish, sprinkling with more pecorino. You cantop simmer them on the stove or place them back in the oven. Meatballs are done when they register 165F.
- Pan sear: Using a non-stick skillet, over medium heat, heat enough oil to coat the bottom, and lightly brown each side of the meatballs, gently turning or giving the skillet a good shake. Once golden on most sides, stir in the marinara sauce, gently coating the meatballs. Dust with pecorino cheese and either simmer for 5 minutes, or place in a hot oven for 10 minutes, uncovered.
Check that the meatballs are cooked all the way through (internal temp =165F) and when done, let rest a few minutes, while you garnish them with torn basil leaves.
Serve alongside veggies, over pasta or with whole grain.
If serving this over pasta, increase marinara sauce by 1 cup for “extra saucy”. 😉
For a richer version, feel free to add 1 egg and 1/2 cup bread crumbs.
A little Smoked mozzarella, grated over the saucy meatballs, and baked in the oven is a also delicious option. 😉
Keywords: turkey meatballs, baked Turkey meatballs, turkey meatballs no egg, turkey meatballs no breadcrumbs,