A fragrant Turmeric Coconut Curry infused with fresh turmeric root, lemongrass and ginger enveloping tofu and shiitake mushrooms. Vegan and Gluten free, can be made in 20 minutes!
- A fragrant coconut curry infused with turmeric root, lemongrass and ginger enveloping tofu and shiitake mushrooms.
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, olive oil, or ghee
- 2 shallots- finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped lemongrass
- 6 garlic cloves- finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger- finely grated
- 2 teaspoons fresh grated turmeric root
- 2 cups chicken or veggie stock
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar or alternative
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne, more to taste
- 4 ounces shiitake mushrooms- de-stemmed and sliced
- 4 ounces tofu- cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Heat oil In a large heavy bottom pot or skillet over medium heat. Add shallots and saute until golden and tender about 5-6 minutes. Add lemongrass, garlic, ginger and turmeric and saute 2 more minutes.
- Add stock and coconut milk and bring to a simmer.
- Add fish sauce, sugar, salt, cayenne and ground turmeric, stirring to combine.
- Add shittakes and simmer gently 2-3 minutes.
- Add tofu, and continue simmering until tofu is warmed through, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the lime, taste, and adjust salt and cayenne.
- Add the cilantro.
- Serve immediately, dividing among bowls.
- Notes- Use the base for your own combination of veggies. Serve over grains or as a stew. if you can find fresh turmeric, just add a little more ground turmeric ( to taste).