A simple healthy sheet pan dinner: Tandoori spiced Cauliflower, chickpeas, red onion and optional chicken breast are roasted on one sheet pan, seasoned with fragrant and flavorful tandoori spice. Vegan and Gluten free! Serve over basmati rice with optional Green harissa yogurt sauce .
- ½ head cauliflower, cut into florets ( or feel free to cook the whole thing and use leftovers for lunch)
- 1 can chickpeas, drained, rinsed, patted dry
- 1–2 boneless, skinless, chicken breast (optional)
- ½ red onion, sliced into ½ inch thick rings or wedges
- 2–3 tablespoons olive oil
- ¾–1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon cracked pepper
- 1 – 2 tablespoons Tandoori spice ( see below), garam masala spice or Tandori Glory Spice
Serve with cooked rice or grain ( both optional) and optional Green Harissa Sauce, fresh Italian parsley leaves ( or cilantro). Slivered almonds, pomegranate seeds, would be nice too.
Homemade Tandoori Spice ( mix in a bowl, use 1-2 tablespoons, save the rest in an airtight jar)
- 2 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¼ –½ teaspoon cayenne pepper ( optional)
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼– ½ teaspoon salt
Pre heat oven to 425F. If serving with rice, set it to boil on the stove. Add a cinnamon stick for added aroma. 🙂
Drizzle all with olive oil. Sprinkle everything generously with salt and pepper and generously with the tandoori spice. Give things a little toss. Drizzle a little more oil on the chicken breast to coat, rubbing it in a bit ( to prevent it from getting dry.) Place in the oven for 20 minutes. Check, toss, cook 5 more minutes if you need to. See notes.
Serve over rice or grain (or go grain- free) with optional Green harissa yogurt.
To make Green Harissa Sauce, see recipe.
Small chicken breasts will cook in about 20 minutes at 425F. If they are big, they will take longer. Thighs will take longer still, especially bone-in, skin on. …and you may want to cook them in a separate baking dish, so you can pull the veggies out sooner.
To make this more festive looking add pomegranate seeds! If you like a bit of sweetness, try adding dried golden raisins or dried chopped apricots to the rice. Slivered almonds are nice too as a garnish.
Keywords: tandoori bowl, Indian bowl, vegan buddha bowl Indian, tandoori glory