Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler with Orange and Ginger is a homey delicious treat. The fruit really shines here, making it great for brunch as well as dessert.
- 4 cups rhubarb (1 lb), sliced in approximately one-inch pieces
- 4 cups strawberries ( 1 lb), sliced
- 3 tablespoons orange juice (use a fresh orange: *zest for the biscuits first* then juice)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons tapioca flour (or quick-cooking tapioca)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, loosely packed
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (or all-purpose is fine too)
- 1 cup masa corn flour (or fine ground cornmeal)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, loosely packed
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons orange zest, minced
- 6 tablespoons or 3 oz. unsalted butter, cut into chunks
- 1/4 cup milk (nut milk works great too)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup crystallized ginger, chopped into raisin size pieces
- Serve with ice cream, whipped cream or on its own.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter an 8 x 11-inch baking dish. ( 2-quart)
- Toss sliced rhubarb and strawberries with fresh-squeezed orange juice (be sure to zest the orange, for the biscuits,before juicing) vanila, tapioca and brown sugar. Use a bowl or do this right in the buttered baking dish. Set aside while making the topping.
- In a bowl mix together whole wheat pastry flour, corn flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, and orange zest. Cut butter chunks in with a pastry cutter, until butter somewhat resembles peas.
- In a separate bowl whisk together milk and egg. Pour into flour mixture along with crystallized ginger and mix until just combined.
- Spread over the filling. I find this easiest to just crumble in with my hands. The mixture is moist.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes. Best if left to cool 30 minutes before serving.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
Keywords: strawberry cobbler, strawberry crumble, strawberry rhubarb crumble, strawberry rhubarb cobbler