A fast and flavorful Spanish style, one-pot dinner that can be made in under 30 minutes. Healthy and delicious! Vegan
Adaptable- see notes! Gluten-Free.
- 1 andouille sausage (chicken or soy), sliced ( or ½ cup Cured Spanish Chorizo- see notes)
- 1–2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ an onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, rough chopped
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper, diced
- 2 medium-large tomatoes, diced with juice
- 1 can white beans, rinsed and drained (Great Northern White Beans or Cannellini Beans)
- ½ cup water
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces Shrimp
- ¼ cup chopped Italian parsley or cilantro
Heat oil in a skillet over medium high heat, and sear sausage on each side. Set aside. To the same pan, add the onions, and cook for two minutes until fragrant. Add garlic and bell pepper, turning heat down to medium, and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add the tomatoes and their juices, and sauté two more minutes.
Add the shrimp and continue simmering until they turn pink and are cooked through, and some of liquid evaporates, just a few more minutes. Add the browned sausage back into the skillet and stir.
Taste, adjust salt. Add chili flakes if you like. Stir in the fresh parsley or cilantro.
Divide among bowls and serve.
If using Cured Spanish Chorizo, no need to brown ahead, simple slice thinly and add to the skillet with the shrimp. Because it’s quite salty, you may need less salt.
If adapting this to vegan, leave out the shrimp and add another veggie like zucchini or eggplant to the onion-pepper mixture. Use soy sausage.
Keywords: spanish white bean stew, shrimp and sausage stew, spanish stew, easy paella