How to make homemade Sourdough English Muffins using sourdough starter (no yeast!). They raise overnight and are cooked on the stovetop in the morning. Tender, delicious and easier to make than you might think! Vegan adaptable. Allow
- 1 cup sourdough starter, (276 grams) fed 6-8 hours before
- 2 tablespoons honey (42 1/3 grams)
- 2 cups milk (1/2 liter) (or nut milk, reconstituted powdered milk, or a mix of yogurt and water)
- 4 cups bread flour (548 grams) (can use 1-2 cups whole wheat flour)
the night before
- In a large mixing bowl combine sourdough starter and honey. Mix until fully combined. Add milk, mix thoroughly.
- Add about half of the flour, mix in thoroughly and add the remaining flour. Incorporate until just mixed.
- Cover and leave at room temperature for 10-14 hours.
In the morning
- Sprinkle baking soda and salt over the dough and work into the dough. Knead more flour into the dough until it is smooth and just beyond the sticky point. Form a ball.
- On a floured surface, roll the dough out to 1/2 inch thick and cut out with a large biscuit cutter. Combine scraps and roll out and cut more muffins out.
- Place on a baking sheet generously sprinkled with cornmeal to keep from sticking to the pan. Sprinkle a little more over the top. Not totally necessary but gives a nice texture and both sides will look more even when baked.
- Let rest 1 hour. Less time if your kitchen is above 80 degrees.
- Thoroughly heat up a cast iron skillet over med-low heat (or griddle set to 325 F), we are going for even heat so give about 5 minutes to get fully warm (you could also place skillet in a 325F oven).
- With a metal spatula, carefully transfer the muffins to the pan, allowing an inch of space between them. They will expand. Cook 10-15 minutes on each side.
- When flipping to the second side press down slightly with the metal spatula to get more of the muffin in contact with the heat keeping the muffin flat rather than dome-shaped.
- Test internal temperature. You want it around 200F. If not done in the center and muffins are getting too brown, pop in an oven at 350 for 10 minutes or until done in the middle.
- Split with a fork for all those amazing nooks and crannies. (Rather than cutting with a knife.)
Wheat flour tastes amazing in these. The more wheat you add the denser the muffin gets. Still delicious just a different texture.
When using wheat flour, add 1-2 cups in the initial mix, the night before. Finish off with the AP flour in the morning.
- Serving Size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 192
- Sugar: 4.4 g
- Sodium: 438.6 mg
- Fat: 0.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 40 g
- Fiber: 1.4 g
- Protein: 6 g
- Cholesterol: 0.7 mg
Keywords: Sourdough English muffins, English muffin recipe, how to make English muffins with sourdough