Easy and adaptable homemade sourdough crackers are full of tangy wholesome flavor. A perfect use for your sourdough discard! Add seeds and herbs or keep them simple! (Adapted from King Arthur Baking)
- 1 cup or 113 grams flour (AP, or use 1/2 rye, teff, cornmeal whole wheat etc.) plus a little for rolling out if needed
- 1 cup or 227 grams sourdough discard starter, unfed
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter or olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh herbs, chopped or 2 teaspoons dried
- optional: whole spices like fennel seeds, sesame seeds, everything bagel spice, zaatar (see notes)
- Combine together flour, sourdough starter, butter or oil, salt, and herbs until in comes together into a ball. Cut the dough in two pieces, and refrigerate for a half hour or up to a day.
- Set oven temperature to 350 degrees.
- Working with one portion of dough at a time, place on a piece of parchment paper.
- Flour your surface and dough as needed.
- Roll out evenly to about a 1/16 of an inch.
- If adding spices and seeds, sprinkle on top of dough and lightly roll the rolling pin over to get them to stick.
- Transfer dough and parchment to a baking pan.
- Using a pizza cutter or knife score into desired shapes. Prick with fork.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes at 350F. Turning pan halfway through baking.
- Let cool completely before storing in an airtight container.
Experiment with alternative flours for flavor and texture such as cornmeal, semolina, rye and teff.
Tailor to your tastes! Add fresh herbs, spices, coarse or flaked salt, dukkah, zaatar, seeds, lemon zest, garlic, nigella, sumac, fennel, chili flakes, nutritional yeast…..have fun experimenting with flavors.
Optional: Brush top of crackers with olive oil or melted butter before baking if desired. This is especially helpful if adding spices to help them adhere.
- Serving Size: 4 crackers
- Calories: 64
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 58.7 mg
- Fat: 2.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 9.2 g
- Fiber: 0.8 g
- Protein: 1.5 g
- Cholesterol: 6.1 mg
Keywords: sourdough crackers, seeded sourdough crackers, homemade crackers, crackers with sourdough discard, sourdough seed crackers. seed crackers, rosemary sourdough crackers