Baked Sweet Potatoes with BBQ Chicken ( or Black beans) or both! Perfect for mixed households who have meat-lovers, vegetarians, vegans, and gluten-free folks all living under the same roof. Customizable and adaptable!
- 1 medium- large yam or sweet potato
- 1 8 ounce raw chicken breast or thigh ( or sub 1 can black beans, or 1 cup cooked chicken breast)
- 1/2 teaspoon oil
- Generous Pinch Salt and Pepper
- 4-6 tablespoons BBQ Sauce– Store bought or homemade
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- ¼ cup chopped scallions or red onion
- ¼– ½ cup shredded cheese ( mozzarella, jack, cheddar) optional
- salt and pepper
- Pre heat oven to 425F
- Cut yam in half lengthwise
- Place on parchment lined line sheet pan, open side down.
- If adding chicken, coat breast in a little oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper, and place next to the sweet potato.
- When the oven is hot, bake yam and chicken for 30 minutes.
- Check that yam is fork tender and chicken is cooked through at thickest part. If not, continue cooking for a bit longer, removing whichever is done, so not to overcook.
- Turn yams over and leave on the sheet pan. Slice the chicken into small bite size pieces ( or if using black beans, drain and rinse the beans well, and season with salt and pepper)
- Using a fork, scruff up the yams, careful to leave the skin in tact and sprinkle with a little salt and pepper. Then mix in 1-2 tablespoons ( or more if you like) BBQ sauce with the yam. Divide the chicken ( or black beans) add a 1-2 more tablespoons BBQ Sauce. Top with half the cilantro and onions and then top with optional cheese.
- Return this to the oven and bake 10-15 more minutes ( or until heated through) and cheese is melty.
- Scatter with remaining onions and cilantro and top with avocado slices.
Nutritional value based on using 8 ounces chicken, no cheese and ½ an avocado.
Try my HOMEMADE BBQ SAUCE RECIPE
Keywords: baked sweet potato, stuffed sweet potato recipe, baked sweet potato recipes,