How to make Sinigang- a Filipino Sour Soup that is bursting with umami flavor. Quick to throw together, loaded with veggies and completely delicious. Serve with rice if desired. Vegan adaptable and gluten free.
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons tamarind puree (I used Glory Bee Organic)
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 4 cups vegetable stock or water
- 1 1/2 cups eggplant cut into chunks
- 1 serrano chili
- 12 ounces fresh salmon filets, cut into large chunks (see notes on optional pre-searing if desired)
- 2 heads baby Bok Choy or 2 cups of greens; napa cabbage, spinach, Mizuna
- 1 cup fresh tomatoes (cherry tomatoes are nice), chopped
- 1 tablespoon white miso mixed with 1/4 cup water
Garnish with fresh cilantro, and thinly sliced daikon radish
- Sear the Salmon. This step is totally optional but it gives a richer flavor to the salmon. Sear the salmon on each side for about 2- 3 minutes (depending on the thickness of the fillets) in a hot hot pan with a little oil. Leave it alone until a crust forms. Just go for getting a golden crust on the outside. The interior will finish cooking in the broth. Set aside.
- Saute onion, garlic and ginger in coconut oil for 2 minutes.
- Add broth, tamarind, fish sauce, eggplant and serrano chili. Bring to a low simmer for 10 minutes, or until eggplant is tender.
- Add the salmon, tomatoes and Bok Choy (if substituting spinach, wait and add just before serving), cook another 5 minutes or until salmon is just cooked through. Add miso water mixture.
- Garnish and serve with rice if desired.
Spice adjustments: If you like it spicy, dice up the chili and add it all. Less hot, cut the chili in half add the halves to the soup. For milder heat, cut chili in half and remove the pith and seeds, add one or both halves to the broth (remove chili before eating).
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 130
- Sugar: 3.4 g
- Sodium: 527.2 mg
- Fat: 5.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 7.4 g
- Fiber: 1.8 g
- Protein: 14.3 g
- Cholesterol: 29 mg
Keywords: Sinigang, Sinigang recipe, salmon sinigang