How to Make a Shrub, a flavorful fruit-infused drinking vinegar used in cocktails, mocktails, vinaigrettes and sauces! Allow 24 hours to sit overnight.
- Place sliced fruit and sugar in a jar and mash until juicy and mixed. Put a lid on the jar and leave at room temperature for 24 hours.
- If infusing the vinegar, roughly chop the shiso leaves (or herbs) and place in a jar along with the vinegar. Put a lid on the jar and leave at room temperature for at least 24 hours.
- Strain both into a bowl combining, pressing the fruit to extract more of their juices, then discard the fruit and herbs.
- Place in a clean jar or bottle.
- Refrigerate for up to 6 months
Because of the preservation quality of the vinegar, this is shelf-stable for 3 months.
FRUIT: Feel free to sub other fruits or berries. Juicy fruits work best. Peaches, pineapple, strawberries, mango, passion fruit, nectarines, blackberries, etc. Colorful fruits make the prettiest shrubs.
Herbs/Spices: feel free to use any fresh herbs to infuse the vinegar, or try fresh ginger, zest, or even whole spices to infuse the vinegar! Play around.
- Serving Size: 3 tablespoons
- Calories: 60
- Sugar: 14.6 g
- Sodium: 0.4 mg
- Fat: 0.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 15 g
- Fiber: 0.3 g
- Protein: 0.1 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: how to make a shrub, shrub, recipe for a shrub, shrub recipe, how to make a shrub, plum shrub, plum shrub recipe, shiso shrub,