Shrimp Ceviche Verde Appetizer with fresh tomatillo, cilantro and Lime, a refreshing and light appetizer, perfect for parties and gatherings.
- 1 lb Peeled Raw (or cooked) Shrimp, thawed, tails removed and cut into bite-sized pieces
- Juice form 1–2 limes
- 1 English cucumber (divided) Cut half into big chunks, and finely dice the second half.
- 1 1/2 lb Tomatillos, husked, rinsed and quartered
- 1/2 bunch cilantro- leaves and tender stems ( about 1 cup, packed)
- 1 jalapeno (or more for spicy)
- 1/4 cup sliced onion
- 3 T lime juice plus zest for garnish
- 1 tsp sugar ( or agave)
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 T olive oil
- Place the prepped prawns in a shallow bowl and squeeze generously with lime, to “cook” the shrimp, about 20-30 minutes, turning halfway through.
- Place the finely diced cucumbers into the same bowl.
- Place the remaining cucumber, tomatillos, onion, jalapeño and cilantro into a food processor and pulse repeatedly until very finely chopped ( but not smooth). Add to the shrimp bowl, and stir in salt, sugar and olive oil.
- Taste and adjust salt and lime juice.
- Refrigerate until serving, up to 8 hours. ( It’s fine to refrigerate overnight but it may loose some it’s vibrant color. Shrimp will be good for a couple days however.)
- This 4-5 cups, enough for 20 people to have a 1/4 cup serving.
- Place in a shot glass with a mini fork.
- Garnish with lime zest, edible flowers.
Feel free to make this with cooked shrimp, if raw shrimp makes you squeamish.
Keywords: shrimp ceviche, shrimp ceviche recipes, shrimp ceviche verde, prawn ceviche, shrimp ceviche recipe