An authentic recipe for Salsa Macha – mexican condiment (oil and vinegar-based, dried chili “salsa”) and how to create falvorful Mexican-style Salsa Macha Bowl, with chicken (or tofu), roasted sweet potato, bell peppers, and optional black beans and rice.
SALSA MACHA RECIPE :
- 1 cup olive oil
- ½ cup raw nuts or seeds- pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, peanuts or almonds
- 4–6 cloves garlic- whole
- 1 shallot, sliced
- 4 dry Guajillo Peppers (1 ¼ ounces) or sub other dried mild to medium peppers.
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon coriander ( optional)
- ¼– 1 teaspoon chipotle powder (optional, add to taste for heat)
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds ( optional)
SALSA MACHA BOWLS:
- 1 medium yam-diced into ½ inch thick cubes
- 1 red bell pepper- sliced into 1 inch thick wedges ( or use poblano peppers)
- ½ red onion- into ½ inch thick half moons
- 2 boneless chicken breasts or thighs, or use tofu filets
- drizzle of olive oil, generous sprinkle salt, pepper and cumin
Salsa Macha: (see notes)
- Discard stems and seeds from chilies and break them into smaller one inch pieces.
- In a large skillet add the oil and heat it over medium high heat. Add garlic, shallot and nuts, and stir until golden, about 4-5 minutes.
- Turn heat to low, add crushed chilies, stirring for 2-3 minutes. Turn heat off and cool 5-10 minutes. Add salt and vinegar and coriander.
- Place all in food processor (or blender) and blend until well combined, but not overly smooth. Taste for spice and add chipotle powder to taste. I added about 1 teaspoon, but start conservatively. You can also add canned chipotle peppers to taste or the adobo sauce they come in, for a nice smokiness.
- Pour into a jar, and stir in toasted sesame seeds.
- To store: cover with a layer of olive oil before storing the jar in the fridge. This will last 3-4 weeks in the fridge.
To make the BOWLS
- Pre heat oven to 425F
- Place prepped yams, onions and peppers on a parchement-lined sheet pan.
- Place chicken or tofu on the side of the sheet pan.
- Drizzle with oil, gently tossing veggies, then chicken and tofu. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and cumin.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 25-30 minutes. Check doneness, and continue cooking if need be.
- Assemble Bowls. If using a Bowl Base like rice or beans, divide it among two bowls. Top it with roasted chicken or tofu, veggies. Add avocado, cilantro and a squeeze of lime. Spoon on the Salsa Macha and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Salsa Macha Notes:
- Feel free to use different chilies, or mix of dried chilies, taking care to pay attention to heat levels. Add Chilies de Arbol for heat or dried Chipotles for depth and smokiness.
- You can also make the Salsa Macha first and use it as the marinade – coating the chicken or tofu before baking. To save time, here I have you make this while the chicken/tofu is baking, then spoon it on after. It’s great either way!
- Serving Size: 1 tablespoon
- Calories: 135
Keywords: Salsa Macha, salsa macha recipe, what is salsa macha? Salsa Macha bowl, mexican condiment, chicken with salsa macha