Roasted Sunchoke and Barley Bowl with mushrooms, parsnips and kale, drizzled with a Zaatar Tahini Sauce – a healthy vegan plant-based bowl, perfect for fall!
- 4 Cups Cooked Whole Grains (Black barley, wheat berries, guinoa, brown rice…etc)
- 12 ounces sunchokes
- 1/2 lb mushrooms- cut in half
- 1–2 large parsnips-diced
- 1 T Olive Oil for roasting
- 1 bunch lacinato kale- thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion- thinly sliced
- 1 T Olive Oil for sautéing
Zaatar Tahini Sauce
- Pre-heat oven to 450F
- Wash and scrub the sunchokes. Dry well. Leaving skins on, cut into ½ inch thick bite sized pieces.
- Peel parsnips and dice into ½ inch cubes.
- Cut mushrooms into 1 inch pieces ( cut in half).
- Toss each separately in a small bowl with a little olive oil, salt and pepper. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet in separate rows and place the hot oven.
- Check the mushrooms after 10 minutes, and remove them early. Bake the sun chokes/ parsnips until golden and crispy, another 10 minutes.
- While the veggies are roasting, sauté the sliced onion in a large skillet, with 1 T oil, over medium high heat for 3 minutes, stirring often. Turn the heat down to medium and continue cooking until caramelized, about 5 minutes. Add kale. Lower heat to medium low, and toss kale with the onions, and cook for just a few minutes, until lightly wilted. Season with salt and pepper.
- Make Tahini Sauce. Whisk all ingredients together in a small jar or bowl.
- Assemble the bowls. Divide the warm grain among 4 bowls. Divide the veggies. Drizzle with tahini sauce.
Feel free to swap out other grains and veggies!
- Calories: 445
Keywords: barley bowl, vegan bowl, sunchoke and barley bowl, vegan buddha bowl, sunchoke recipes