Tender Roasted Parsnips with Romesco Sauce, a simple vegan side dish that is perfect for weeknight dinners or the holiday table! Sweet and earthy parsnips pair deliciously with robust and smoky Romesco Sauce! Serve with fish, chicken or tofu!
- 3 extra large parsnips – cut in half lengthwise, unpeeled
- 1 red bell pepper, cut in half
- ½ an onion, cut into ¾ inch thick wedges
- olive oil for brushing
- salt and pepper
Remaining Romesco Sauce ingredients:
- 2 garlic cloves ( or sub 1 teaspoon roasted garlic powder )
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup water
- ½ cup toasted hazelnuts or almonds ( more for garnish)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon chili flakes
- ½–¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sherry wine vinegar ( or red wine vinegar)
- ¼ cup chopped fresh Italian parsley ( more for garnish)
Preheat oven to 425F
Cut parsnips and bell pepper ( remove seeds) in half ( see photos) and place on a parchment lined sheet pan. Add onion wedges. Drizzle lightly or brush with olive oil, getting the undersides of the parsnips as well. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and roast until fork tender, 30-35 minutes. Check at 20 minutes, rotate pan, continue cooking until very tender and deeply golden. No pale parsnips please!
Place bell pepper and onion in a food processor. Add remaining romesco ingredients and pulse until combined into a paste.
To serve on a platter, spoon the romesco sauce onto a platter, and using the back of the spoon to smear it as creatively as you like. Arrange the parsnips overtop. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and crushed hazelnuts. Serve immediately.
The romesco sauce can be made ahead using jarred roasted peppers. Bring it to room temp before serving.
- Serving Size: ½ parsnip
Keywords: roasted parsnips, slow roasted parsnips, parsnips with romesco sauce, how to roast parsnips, how to make romesco sauce, best romesco sauce recipe, parsnip recipes, vegan parsnip recipes