How to make Roasted Garlic in the oven (using whole heads of garlic or peeled garlic cloves). Roasting garlic transforms it! Spreadable, buttery, sweet, earthy, and complex it has a multitude of uses in the kitchen! With so many health benefits!
Roasting Whole Garlic Heads
- preheat oven to 400F
- Cut the tips of the heads, exposing the cloves inside, slicing off roughly 1/2 inch
- Place in a well-oiled skillet or baking dish.
- Drizzle generously with olive oil roughly, 1 teaspoon per head.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper if you like, and tuck in some sprigs of rosemary or thyme. Both optional.
- Cover tightly with foil.
- Roast 35 minutes, check for tenderness, by inserting the tip of a knife into an inner clove. If tender, uncover and roast until golden and caramelized, 10-20 more minutes. If not tender, recover with foil and check again in 5-10 minutes.
Roasting Peeled Garlic
- Place 1 cup garlic cloves in a baking dish ( glass allows you to see the depth of color).
- Drizzle generously with olive oil 2-4 tablespoons ( the flavorful oil can be used in dressings, and to preserve the garlic)
- Cover with foil.
- Place in the hot oven for 20 minutes, check, continue roasting until golden and caramelied,
To preserve and store:
Refrigerate whole heads in ziplock bags for up to 4 days (or freeze).
To preserve roasted ( peeled) cloves, simple cover with a layer of olive oil in a jar. Add herbs, lemon zest and chili flakes if you like. This will keep 10 days with the garlic submerged in oil. Use the flavorful garlic-infused oil in your cooking or dressings etc, but always top off the jar with more oil, so the garlic is completely covered.
Or freeze in little jars. You can also freeze cloves in little ziplock bags.
Make Roasted Garlic Paste: My favorite way is to blend the garlic cloves with the oil in a food processor and make a paste, covering with a tiny layer of olive oil. This will last 10 days in the fridge. For longer, store the garlic paste in little jars in the freezer, and pull out as needed. You could also free in ice cube trays.
- Serving Size: 1 tablespoon
Keywords: roasted garlic, how to roast garlic, roasted whole garlic heads, roasted garlic cloves