Mashed Cauliflower with Roasted Garlic
Mashed Cauliflower with Roasted Garlic, an easy delicious alternative to mashed potatoes, low carb, keto friendly, healthy and full of amazing flavor, the perfect side dish that goes with everything! Vegan adaptable and Gluten Free!
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 45 mins
- Yield: 4-6
- Category: Vegetable, vegan, gluten-free, Side Dish, keto, paleo, holiday
- Method: roasted
- Cuisine: Pacific Northwest
- 1 extra large head cauliflower
- 8 – 10 cloves garlic- roasted (or sub 2-3 teaspoons granulated ROASTED garlic)
- ½ cup milk, nut milk, soy milk or ½ and ½
- ¼ cup chicken or veggie broth or water
- 3 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 3 tablespoons sour cream ( or vegan sour cream, cashew cream – or simply leave this out)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- generous pinch white pepper (or cracked pepper)
- A drizzle of olive oil, melted butter or truffle oil, right before serving
- A few tablespoons of browned butter with crispy sage leaves (see notes)
- handful grated romano cheese and mozzerella mixed, then baked.
- Pre-heat oven to 425 F
- Drizzle whole garlic cloves with oil and wrap tightly in a double layer of foil and bake 30 minutes.
- Cut cauliflower into small 1 inch thick florets, toss with olive oil and roast on a sheet pan until fork tender, 25-30 minutes. (You can also steam in an inch of water in a big pot. See notes)
- Once cauliflower is tender place in a food processor adding milk of your choosing, butter (or olive oil), sour cream and broth. You may have to start with half the cauliflower, puree, then add the rest in order for it to fit. Puree until very very smooth, several minutes. Add salt, roasted garlic, pepper, and nutmeg. Taste. Adjust salt and pepper.
- At this point, you could keep it warm and serve it just as it is, or refrigerate it and heat it up in the oven or stove top, before serving.
Optional Toppings before serving
- 1. Drizzle with a little olive oil, melted butter or truffle oil.
- 2. Drizzle with browned butter and crispy sage.
- 3. Top with a handful of grated cheese and bake in a 375 F oven until golden and crispy for a delicious cheesy crust.
- To brown butter, heat a few tablespoons of real butter in a small pot on the stove over medium heat. Let it cook until you begin to smell it’s beautiful nutty fragrance. Once you smell it, add a few sage leaves, and stand by, letting the butter slightly darken to the color of light brown sugar, another minute or so. Turn heat off until ready to serve, make a circular well in the mashed cauliflower with the back of a spoon and pour the browned butter in the well & top with crispy sage leaves.
FYI- If you like the look of the light white cauliflower, then I suggest steaming it. Roasting the cauliflower gives it delicious flavor, but the roasting will cause the cauliflower to darken a bit, giving the finished dish a beige-ish color.
The sour cream adds a subtle delicious tang – so if choosing to leave this out, consider adding a ½ teaspoon lemon juice. Up to you. 😉
Keywords: vegan mashed cauliflower, mashed cauliflower, best mashed cauliflower, best cauliflower recipe, keto mashed cauliflower, cauliflower mash, cauliflower mashed potatoes, mashed cauliflower, roasted garlic mashed potatoes, cauliflower puree, cauliflower gratin