How to roast Artichokes! Roasted Artichokes with Lemony Leek dressing – a healthy vegan way to cook and serve our favorite spring vegetable!
- Preheat oven to 425F
- Fill a large bowl with cool water and a splash of lemon juice or vinegar.
- Trim the top inch of the artichokes off with a sharp chefs knife, then cut in half. See photos.
- Using a spoon, firmly insert the spoon underneath the fine threads of the choke, right above the stem. Scrape out the choke. See photos! Then place the artichokes in the bowl of water, submerging. This will hydrate them before roasting.
- Oil the bottom of a baking dish. Place artichoke halves, open side up. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and squeeze with lemon juice. Turn them over, and brush the outer leaves with a little of the oil from the pan, open sides down. Add ½ cup water- or more if using a bigger pan- enough to lightly cover the whole pan.
- Tightly cover with foil. This is important. If your foil is on the thin side, use a double layer. You want to create a good seal!
- Bake in the oven and make the Lemony Leek Dressing.
- For large artichokes, roast for 1 hour. Smaller, check at 30-40 minutes. Remove then foil, turn them over, (so the open side is up) and roast uncovered for 15 more minutes until fully tender and edges crispy. (Pierce the heart with a knife to check tenderness.)
- Spoon the flavorful Leek dressing over top, getting it into the leaves as well.
Small artichokes will, as you can imagine take less time. Check at 30-35 minutes, uncover, turn over, lower heat to 350, continue baking until leaves pull off easily.
When choosing artichokes, choose ones that feel heavy ( hydrated) have closed leaves. Their leaves should look plump and hydrated.
- Serving Size: ½ extra large artichoke with leek dressing
- Calories: 189
- Sugar: 1.4 g
- Sodium: 352.5 mg
- Fat: 17.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 9.1 g
- Fiber: 3.6 g
- Protein: 2.3 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: roasted artichoke recipe, how to roast artichokes, roasted artichoke, baked artichokes, vegan artichoke sauce, vegan artichokes, how to cook artichokes, baked artichoke recipes, roasted artichoke recipe,