Raita Recipe- an Indian yogurt sauce with cucumber, mint and cilantro. Cooling and refreshing, serve this with spicy Indian dishes to cool the palate.
- Author: Sylvia Fountaine
- Prep Time: 15
- Total Time: 15
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: sauce, condiment
- Method: Stirred
- Cuisine: Indian
- ¾ cup whole milk plain yogurt
- ½ cup finely diced or grated cucumber ( removed seeds first)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped red onion ( optional, sub chives or green onion)
- 2 teaspoons lemon or lime juice, more to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds, toasted, crushed ( or use ground)
- ½ teaspoon coriander seeds, toasted, crushed ( or use ground)
- 2–3 tablespoons chopped mint
- 2–3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- ¼ teaspoon salt, more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- for heat, add 1-2 teaspoons finely minced serrano peppers- optional
- garnish with fresh herbs, chive blossoms or chili flakes
Place all ingredients in a bowl and stir.
Refrigerate until ready to serve.
If you like ginger, feel free to add 1/2 teaspoon of fresh grated ginger.
Using toasted whole seeds ( cumin and coriander) really elevates this!
Keywords: Raita, raita recipe, raita sauce, indian yogurt sauce, what is raita?, how to make raita