Thick and creamy Pumpkin Soup with coconut milk, and warming Indian spices. Vegan and Gluten-free. Use roasted pumpkin or canned pumpkin puree!
- 3 cups pumpkin puree (2 1/2 lb pie pumpkin or sugar pumpkin or 2 14-ounce cans organic pumpkin puree) you’ll need 3 cups total
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (or coconut oil)
- 1 large leek, sliced, rinsed (or sub one onion, diced)
- 6 garlic cloves, rough chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, sliced
- 2 cups veggie broth ( or use water with 1 teaspoon veggie Boullion paste)
- 2 teaspoons garam masala spice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3–1/2 cup coconut milk, more to taste
- juice of one large orange (see notes for subbing)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- cracked pepper and Aleppo chili flakes (or pinch cayenne)
- optional: cilantro
Finishing oil (optional garnish)
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil or ghee
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- a few curry leaves (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425F (if using fresh pumpkin)
- Cut pumpkin in half, scoop out seeds, and place open side down on a greased parchment-lined sheet pan. Bake for 30 minutes, or until easily pierced with a knife (through the skin). Lift off the skins.
- Heat oil in a dutch oven or medium pot over medium heat. Cut and rinse the leeks ( make leek oil with the tops if you want!). Add. the leeks to the pot along with the garlic and ginger. Stir a few times and cover, stirring occasionally until the leeks are tender, and garlic is fragrant, about 7 miunutes. Add the veggie broth, cover and bring to a simmer.
- Stir in the pumpkin (3 cups of the roasted pumpkin, or two cans of pumpkin puree).
- Add the salt and garam masala. Blend the soup until really thick, creamy smooth and return to the pot (or use an immersion blender).
- Stir in coconut milk, orange juice and maple syrup. Add a few cracks of pepper, and a pinch of chili flakes or cayenne. Taste, adjusting it to your taste. Feel free to add more garam masala.
- To make the Tempering Oil: heat the coconut oil or ghee in a skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in the pumpkin seeds, stir for 1-2 minutes. Add the seeds, and optional curry leaves, stirring constantly until you hear a little popping. Remove from the heat.
- To serve, divide soup among bowls. Drizzle with a spoonful of coconut milk. Spoon the flavorful tempering oil over top. Sprinkle with cilantro.
Soup can be stored in the fridge for up to 4 days, or freeze it for later.
Substitute a few drops of Apple Cider vinegar (to taste) for the orange juice. Use a very light hand here!
- Serving Size: 1 cup- without the finishing oil
- Calories: 228
- Sugar: 13.9 g
- Sodium: 582.6 mg
- Fat: 13.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 6.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 26.4 g
- Fiber: 1.6 g
- Protein: 2.7 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: pumpkin soup, pumpkin soup recipe, vegan pumkin soup, roasted pumpkin soup, easy pumpkin soup, curried pumpkin soup