This Pineapple Fried Rice holds all the Thai flavors of spicy, sweet, and salty with a perfect tang from the pineapple and tops off with a crunchy nutty taste of cashew. It is a delicious Thai dish that is fast to put together. Vegan adaptable!
- 4 tablespoon coconut, peanut or avocado oil, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 8-10 ounces chicken breast, thinly sliced into thin, small pieces, or sub shrimp or make this Crispy Tofu.
- 1/3 cup onions, diced small
- 1 cup fresh pineapple sliced into small bite-sized pieces
- 1/3 cup red bell peppers, diced small
- 1/3 cup carrots diced small
- 1/2 cup green onions, sliced small
- 2 cups cooked Jasmine rice (day-old rice is best, left uncovered in the fridge, to “dry out” a bit)
- 2 eggs, lightly whisked before cooking
- 1/3 cup cashews, whole if possible- see notes!
Garnish: lime wedges, cilantro, Sriracha
Stir Fry Sauce:
- 1 1/2 teaspoons yellow curry powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar, or sugar alternative
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black or white pepper
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce -vegan substitute- use vegan fish sauce, or sub more soy sauce to taste.
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or use GF Liquid Aminos like Braggs
- 1 tablespoon lime juice or rice vinegar
- Make the sauce by combining curry powder, sugar, pepper, lime juice, fish sauce, and soy sauce, and mix well.
- In a large skillet, heat to medium-high heat, and add the oil. Once hot, add garlic and fry until lightly golden brown and fragrant, 30 seconds or so.Add the chicken and cook until lightly browned. 4-5 minutes, lowering heat if needed. Set aside.
- Wipe out the pan, add a little more oil, and the onion, stir fry 2 minutes, then add the pineapple, and stir fry for a few minutes. Add the vegetables, green onions, and cook until the vegetables are tender, 3-4 minutes. Set aside with the chicken.
- Add a little more oil, stir fry the rice, make a well in the center and scramble the egg. Add chicken and veggies back into the pan.
- Add the sauce, stir well, and let the fried rice cook for 1-2 more minutes. Add the cashews and cilantro. Stir well, turn the heat off, taste, and season as needed with soy sauce, sugar, and lime juice. Or add more curry powder if you’d like a little spice.
- Serve warm with a side of lime wedges and garnish with chopped cilantro and optional Sriracha.
- Add more curry powder for extra spice. Either in the sauce or add more at the end.
- Cashews: Before sprinkling them over your fried rice, you can toast your cashews in a dry skillet without the oil. This adds extra flavor, nutty flavors, and crunch. Roasted Peanuts, almonds, and macadamia nuts are great substitutes instead of cashew.
- Protein: Use shrimp or crispy tofu or all vegetables instead of chicken.
- Best vegetables for pineapple fried rice:Bell peppers, carrots, pea pods, onions, jalapenos, fresh beans, edamame, and the stemmy soft part of broccoli or broccolini and water chestnuts.
- Serving Size: 1.25 cup
- Calories: 453
- Sugar: 11.9 g
- Sodium: 642.8 mg
- Fat: 21.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 44.9 g
- Fiber: 2.3 g
- Protein: 21.1 g
- Cholesterol: 134.4 mg
Keywords: Pineapple Fried Rice, Thai Pineapple Fried Rice, Pineapple fried rice recipe