Peruvian Seafood Stew with Cilantro Broth- made with fish and shellfish, potatoes, carrots and the most flavorful delicious broth! Healthy, Paleo, Gluten free, Easy! Can be made in 35 minutes!
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow or white onion- diced
- 1 fresh green ancho chili – chopped (if you like spicy, add 2 and skip the bell pepper)
- 1 green bell pepper – chopped (optional)
- 6 cloves garlic – rough chopped
- 1 Tablespoon coriander
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 4 cups chicken broth or stock
- 3 cups water – divided
- 4 cups small diced potatoes
- 2 cup diced carrots
- 2 whole bunches cilantro, including small stems
- 2 lbs seafood, mixed -shrimp, scallops, mussels, fish, (or sub cooked chicken, or chickpeas)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon cracked pepper
- juice of 2–3 limes
- Garnish: cilantro, thinly sliced jalapeño, dollop sour cream, crusty bread for dipping
- Heat oil in a large heavy bottom pot, or dutch oven, over medium high heat. Add onion, and saute for 2-3 minutes, stirring often. Add ancho chili and bell pepper. Turn heat to medium and saute until tender about 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Add garlic and spices and cook for two-three minutes or until fragrant.
- Scrape this all into a blender and set aside.
- In the same pot, add 4 cups chicken broth or stock, plus 1 cup water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add the small diced potatoes and carrots and simmer over medium heat until just tender, about 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, add two whole bunches of cilantro to the blender, stems and all. I usually cut or twist off 1-2 inches off the stems, leaving the rest. Add 2 cups water to the blender. Bend everything until VERY smooth, at least 45 seconds! Smooth is key here! Set this aside.
- Once the potatoes and carrots are tender, add all the seafood and simmer gently until desired doneness, or about 3-5 minutes ( taking in consideration, some things take longer to cook than others).
- When seafood is cooked to your liking, stir in blended cilantro mixture from the blender.
- Heat, to a gently simmer – but do not boil too long, or you will loose the lovely green color!
- Squeeze limes to taste – I used 2 limes.
- Taste and adjust salt and lime juice, adding more of each to your taste.
- Serve in bowls with cilantro sprigs, optional jalapeño slices, lime wedges, sour cream (optional) and crusty bread.
- Don’t boil the broth mixture too long or you will lose the pretty green color. In the photos you see me using 2 poblano chilis, and this was quite spicy. The next time I used 1 ancho chili plus a green bell pepper – spicy, but not overly.
Keywords: Peruvian stew, Peruvian seafood stew, Peruvian fish stew, Cilantro broth, seafood soup, peruvian soup, Fish soup, Fish stew,