A simple recipe for Peruvian Green Sauce ( Aji Verde) that is vegan adaptable- to use in Peruvian Style Meals, burritos, tacos, burrito bowls, or with Peruvian Chicken.
Peruvian Green Sauce (Aji Verde) :
- ½ mayo or sour cream (or 1/3 cup cashews and 1/3 cup water -vegan option, see notes)
- ½–1 jalapeño or 1/2 a serrano chili (use less for less spicy, you can always add more to taste)
- 1 fat garlic clove
- 1 cup chopped cilantro- thin stems ok.
- ¼–1/2 teaspoon kosher salt,
- a squeeze of lime juice (1 tablespoon)
Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth, scraping down sides if need be. ( See notes for vegan)
Blent until creamy. Taste. Adjust heat, salt and lime to your liking, adding more of each if you want. You want this slightly salty.
Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Makes 3/4-1 cup.
VEGAN PERUVIAN GREEN SAUCE: Instead of mayo, substitute 1/3 cup raw cashews and 1/3 cup water, and use 1/2 teaspoon salt. Blend cashews and water first- in a high-powered blender. (If your blender is not “high-powered” soak the cashews in water for 4 hours first, so they soften a bit.) Blend until creamy then add remaining ingredients- chilies, cilantro, garlic, salt and lime. Taste and adjust heat and salt to your liking. You want this slightly salty.
- Serving Size: 3 tablespoons
Keywords: aji verde, aji verde recipe, Peruvian green sauce, spicy Peruvian green sauce, vegan aji verde, vegan Peruvian green sauce