Flavorful, EASY Mexican Chicken Noodle Soup with cilantro, avocado and lime- a one pot meal, in under 30 minutes. Vegan option, sub chickpeas for the chicken!| www.feastingathome.com
- 1–2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion- diced
- 4 garlic cloves- rough chopped
- 1 – 1 1/4 lbs. chicken breast diced into small cubes (or sub 14-ounce can chickpeas, drained)
- 1 teaspoon salt, more to taste
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoon coriander
- 2 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano (or a couple bay leaves)
- 1/8 – 1/4 teaspoons chipotle powder or cayenne, or to taste
- 1 tomato – diced
- 1 small can diced green chilies (optional)
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 4 cups water
- 4–6 ounces dry linguini noodles (or pasta, or gluten-free or rice noodles– see notes)
- Juice of one lime
- Garnish with avocado slices, sour cream, fresh cilantro, scallions and lime
- Optional: feel free to add chopped veggies ( carrot, celery, bell pepper, etc)
- In a large heavy bottom pot or dutch oven, saute onion in 1-2 T olive oil over med-high heat for two minutes.
- Add chicken and garlic. Saute 5-6 minutes until it begins to brown, stirring often.
- Add salt and spices, oregano and cook 1 more minute. Add tomato, chilies, stock and water and bring to a rolling boil over high heat.
- Once boiling, add pasta, resisting the temptation to add more (it will swell). Bring to a boil once more, turn heat to medium, and simmer ten minutes or until pasta is done cooking.
- Squeeze the lime, taste, add more salt to taste. If soup tastes bland, it need more salt and lime. 🙂
- Place in bowls and top with sliced avocado and fresh cilantro and scallions and serve with a wedge of lime.
- Note: if substituting chickpeas, saute with the garlic for just a couple minutes before continuing with the recipe. You can also use both chickpeas and chicken for a heartier version.
- If using Gluten-free noodles, cook separately before adding ( they can cause the soup to turn milky).
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 347
- Sugar: 4.8 g
- Sodium: 508.4 mg
- Fat: 5.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 51.5 g
- Fiber: 5.7 g
- Protein: 26.5 g
- Cholesterol: 55.2 mg
Keywords: mexican noodle soup, mexican chicken noodle soup, mexican tomato noodle soup, mexican chicken soup, chicken noodle soup mexican