This recipe for Mushroom Lentil Stew with Fennel and Sage is earthy, hearty and richly spiced. So satisfying and vegan!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 yellow onions, about 2 cups chopped small
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 fennel bulb, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional-adjust to taste)
- 1 teaspoon ground anise seeds (or use ground fennel)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (adjust to taste)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, (Greek or Italian)
- 1 lb cremini mushrooms (or a mix with shiitake, oysters, chanterelles, lions mane etc.)
- 1/2 cup dried brown lentils
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage, minced (or 2 teaspoons dried)
- 4–6 cups vegetable broth (see notes)
- In a large pot, heat oil and saute onions letting them cook on low for 20 minutes while you prep the vegetables. They should be caramelized and lightly browned.
- Add the chopped fennel, celery, garlic, mushrooms, sage, red pepper flakes, anise, pepper, smoked paprika, oregano, and salt. Saute another 15 minutes. Stir frequently until veggies soften and mushrooms wilt. Add a little more olive oil if needed to keep from sticking to the pot.
- Add lentils and 4 cups vegetable broth.
- Simmer partly covered for 30 minutes, until lentils are soft and tender. If needed add more broth to desired consistency.
- Season with salt and pepper if needed.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 142
- Sugar: 3.8 g
- Sodium: 389.1 mg
- Fat: 5 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 18.4 g
- Fiber: 3.3 g
- Protein: 8.9 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: mushroom lentil soup, mushroom lentil stew, lentil mushroom soup, lentil mushroom stew recipe