How to make authentic Lebananese Tabouli (or Tabbouleh) – this recipe is full of flavor, vegan and can be made with bulgar wheat or quinoa with a hint of Lebanese 7-Spice that truly elevates. Enjoy with Pita bread, hummus, or baba ganoush!
- 1/2 cup dry bulgar wheat, ( fine grain bulgar, medium grain bulgar or 1 cup cooked quinoa)
- 4 bunches flat-leaf parsley (or sub curly parsley), chopped fine (7–8 cups, 0r 10–11 ounces chopped) tender stems OK.
- 1 cup mint leaves, chopped
- 1/4–1/2 cup dill, chopped (optional)
- 3 medium tomatoes, diced small (3 cups)
- 1–2 Turkish cucumbers, diced (optional)
- 4 scallions, sliced (or 1 cup red or white onion- finely diced)
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1/3 cup lemon juice, more to taste
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon “7-Spice” (or sub 1/2 teaspoon allspice and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- If using med grain bulgar, pour 1/2 cup boiling water over the bulgar wheat in a small bowl. Cover with a plate, set aside. If using fine grain bulgar, you can toss it right in the salad at the end (the same with cooked quinoa).
- If making the 7 spice– mix all the spices together in a small bowl. (see notes)
- See TIP below on washing Parsley. Chop the parsley as finely as you can, and some thin stems are ok to include. Place in a large bowl. You’ll need about 7 cups chopped or 10 ounces. Chop the mint and optional dill. Dice the tomatoes finely, place in the bowl along with all their juices. Chop the cucumber and onion and place in the bowl.
- Add the bulgar wheat- it should be al dente. Toss all to mix well. Add the lemon zest, lemon juice, olive oil, salt and 1 teaspoon 7-spice. Give a good stir.
- Place in the fridge for 1-3 hours and allow the flavors to meld. The parsley will soften and lose any bitterness, and the bulgar will soak up the flavorful juices, swelling.
- Before serving, give a stir and taste for salt and lemon. Adjust both to your liking, along with the spices. You want just the faintest whiff of the spices, like a whisper.
- Enjoy with Pita, Hummus, baba ganoush, and falafels.
TIP: To wash the parsley, keep the bunch intact. Hold each bunch like a bouquet of flowers with leaves pointing upwards under the cool running water, wriggling the band a little to let any dirt or grit release from the bottom stem end, down and away into the sink. Repeat with remaining. Go outside, and holding the stems tightly, swing each bunch like you would an overhead baseball pitch, or perhaps cracking a whip, flinging all the water away. This allows you keep the bunch intact for faster cutting. Plus it just feels good energetically, like you are flinging away all tension/anxiety away from the body. 😉
7-Spice Mix – Use the remaining 7- spice as a “rub” to coat chicken or tofu (make sure to season each with salt and pepper first) before pan-searing. Very tasty with the Tabouli!
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 161
- Sugar: 2.5 g
- Sodium: 332.9 mg
- Fat: 11.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 14.8 g
- Fiber: 4.7 g
- Protein: 3.8 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: tabouli, tabouli recipe, Lebanese tabouli, authentic tabouli, traditional tabouli, best tabouli recipe, tabouli with quinoa,