Lemon Basil Orzo Pasta Salad. Keep it vegan or add feta. Summery, flavorful, zesty and light! Perfect for summer potlucks, or make-ahead lunches!
- 1 cup dry orzo pasta ( uncooked)
- 2 Turkish cucumbers, sliced ( about 2 cups) or use English cucumbers
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- handful baby arugula ( optional, or sub baby spinach)
Lemon Basil Dressing
- 1 cup basil ( packed down tight, about 2 ounces)
- 2 fat garlic cloves
- zest from one medium lemon
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt, more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon cracked pepper
Optional additions: cheese ( goat, feta, shaved pecorino or parmesan), seeds, micro greens, chick peas
Cook orzo in generously salted water. Drain and rinse with cold water, until cooled.
Place cooled orzo into a bowl and toss with the flavorful basil lemon sauce. Add any additions you like- arugula, cucumber, chickpeas, snap peas, feta, asparagus, or shrimp and toss. ( see notes)
If you plan to add a lot of veggies or beans to the orzo (like, more than a cup or two) double or 1 ½ times the lemon basil dressing so your final dish still has plenty of flavor and vibrant color.
Keywords: pasta salad recipe, summer pasta salad, orzo pasta salad, orzo recipe, lemon orzo pasta, lemon basil orzo pasta salad, orzo recipes, vegan pasta salad, vegan orzo pasta salad