- 1–2 tablespoons oil (peanut oil gives this great flavor!)
- 1/2 cup onion- diced
- 4 garlic cloves, rough chopped
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped ginger
- 2 cups chopped colorful veggies – mushrooms, red bell pepper, peas, carrots, snap peas, green beans, etc.
- 1/2–3/4 cup kimchi– chopped, more to taste.
- 2 cups cooked, chilled rice ( leftover rice works best here)
- 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce (optional, only if necessary)
- 1/2 teaspoon bonito granules (optional, but yummy!)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 2 large eggs, poached, fried – or top with crispy tofu!
- Garnish with sriracha or garlic chili paste, scallions and cilantro.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and saute for 2-3 minutes, stirring, then turn the heat down to medium. Add ginger, garlic, and veggies. Saute until ginger is fragrant and veggies are tender, stirring often about 5-7 minutes.
- Add chopped kimchi, and cook until heated through about 1-2 minutes. Scoot veggies to the side, add a bit more oil and add the cold dry rice. Let this get crispy, then flip, and crispy up other side. Combine all, stir frying, about 2-3 more minutes. Taste and adjust the flavor by adding soy sauce, salt, bonito granules as desired. (*Kimchi adds a lot of saltiness, so add salt sparingly and to taste, as each kimchi is different. If tasting bland, add soy sauce.) Stir in half of the scallions and cilantro (save the rest for garnish)
- You could also stir in a handful of greens at this point, like baby spinach or arugula.
- Divide among two large bowls.
- Top with a fried or poached egg (season with salt and pepper). Sprinkle with cilantro and scallions, and a generous drizzle of Sriracha sauce. Serve immediately, with chopsticks, breaking the yolk and letting act as a sauce over the rice.
Leftover cold rice always makes the best fried rice! This is because it is drier! Freshly warm rice will most often turn to mush, so plan ahead here!
Feel free to add browned ground meat- turkey, beef, lamb, or leftover rotisserie chicken for extra protein.
- Serving Size: Topped with a poached egg
- Calories: 387
- Sugar: 4.1 g
- Sodium: 348.8 mg
- Fat: 13.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 7.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 53.8 g
- Fiber: 5.9 g
- Protein: 12.5 g
- Cholesterol: 186 mg
Keywords: Kimchi fried rice, Korean fried rice, best kimchi fried rice, kimchi fried rice vegan, vegan kimchi fried rice, healthy kimchi fried rice,