A simple recipe for Italian Baked Beans, with kale, cannellini beans, and your favorite homemade (or store-bought) Marinara sauce, baked in the oven until golden and bubbling. A delicious vegetarian main! Vegan adaptable and Gluten-free.
- 4 cups cannellini beans or white beans (cooked, or 2 x 14-ounce cans, drained)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper
- pinch chili flakes- optional
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 2 tablespoons water
- optional: big handful lacinato kale, torn, thick stems removed (or sub baby spinach)
- 1/4 cup parmesan or pecorino cheese
- optional 4–5 slices fresh mozzarella ( or sub grated, or burrata cheese)
Preheat oven to 375F
In a 9-inch ovenproof or skillet or medium-sized baking dish, add the white beans and stir them with the olive oil, salt, pepper and chili flakes. Add the marinara sauce and water and mix again. Stir in the kale if adding. Shake the pan to level it and sprinkle with the pecorino or parmesan and nestle in the optional mozzarella.
Bake uncovered in a 375 F oven until bubbling and golden, 25-35 minutes. Feel free to broil for a couple of minutes to get the top extra golden.
Garnish with fresh basil and serve with crusty bread and a leafy green salad.
Leftovers will keep up to 4 days in the fridge.
You can embellish this even further by adding browned Italian sausage (or vegan sausage,) or sauteed mushrooms, or topping it with pesto.
Keywords: Italian Baked Beans, Italian Baked White beans, baked white beans,