Make Life Simple Instant Pot Split Pea Soup, packed with veggies and seasoned with Harissa Paste and North African flavors. Drizzle with olive oil and keep it vegan, or add a swirl of yogurt for added richness. ( See stove top and Slow cooker options below)
- 1–2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 4–6 fat garlic cloves, rough chopped
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 heaping cup celery, diced
- 1 heaping cup carrots or parsnips, diced ½ inch thick
- 1 x 14.5 ounce can of diced tomatoes ( or use fire roasted for extra flavor, or use 1 ½ cups fresh tomatoes diced with their juices ). Do not drain.
- 2 cups split peas ( feel free to soak for a few hours or not, up to you)
- 4 cups veggie or chicken broth ( or water with 1 tablespoon Better than Bouillon)
- 2 cups water
- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian herbs or Herbs de Provence
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon aleppo chili flakes ( or regular chili flakes)
Add the rest of the ingredients to the pot. Give a a good stir and cover. Pressure cook on high for 15 minutes. Let pressure release naturally ( 15 minutes).
Stir once again, it will thicken a bit as it cools.
For easier digestion, soak the peas in a bowl of water on the counter or overnight in the fridge. Optional!
To cook in a slow cooker, cook on low heat 8 to 10 hrs or on high heat 6 to 7 hours, or until peas are tender.
To cook on the stove top, cook in a dutch oven, covered, simmer on low heat, 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until peas are tender.