Instant Pot Mac and Cheese- creamy, delicious and crazy good, homemade Mac and cheese doesn’t get any easier than this!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 4 cups water
- 2 1/2 – 3 teaspoons salt (I prefer 3)
- 16 ounces elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 12 ounce canned evaporated milk
- 1/2–1 teaspoon dijon mustard (or mustard powder)
- 2 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup grated pepper jack cheese (or sub mozzarella, gruyere, or other melty cheese)
- To “adultify” the Mac & Cheese, garnish with Everything Bagel Spice and Chili flakes
- Set Instant Pot to Saute function.
- Add olive oil and shallot and saute until sizzling and fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add water, salt and macaroni and give a good stir. Set Instant Pot to pressure cook, on high, for 4 minutes. Manually release.
- Stir the pasta, there will be a little water, this is OK. Stir in the butter, evaporated milk, and mustard. Stir in the cheese a cup at a time, until fully melted and incorporated. Taste, add more mustard for extra tanginess.
- As the macaroni and cheese sits, it will thicken up beautifully.
- Feel free to garnish with Everything Bagel Spice, Chili flakes, or Sriracha.
Using two different types of cheese here really elevates.
If in a hurry, you can skip the sauteed shallot in the beginning, and sub a teaspoon of onion powder or garlic powder.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 493
- Sugar: 4.7 g
- Sodium: 1246.7 mg
- Fat: 22.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 12.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 50.4 g
- Fiber: 1.9 g
- Protein: 21.8 g
- Cholesterol: 55.2 mg
Keywords: instant pot Mac and cheese, instant pot macaroni and cheese, the best instant pot mac and cheese