Homemade heart-shaped Ice-cream Sandwiches made with crispy, dark chocolate wafers and vanilla ice cream. Perfect for your valentines day dessert.
- 1 1/2 sticks (12 tablespoons) butter, at room temperature
- 1/2– 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup extra dark Dutch processed cocoa, sifted
- 1/2 cup ground bittersweet chocolate or mixed with some unsweetened chocolate ( 2 oz)
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/8 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Vanilla Ice-cream for filling
- Decoratoring Sugar
- In your stand mixer cream the butter and sugar on medium-high speed for several minutes until light and fluffy. On low speed, add cocoa powder, scraping down the sides of the bowl occasionally. Then add the ground chocolate, vanilla and egg and mix on medium speed until thoroughly combined. Add the flour on low speed, mixing until uniform and comes together like a dough.
- Remove the cookie dough from the mixer, wrap in plastic and chill until firm about 1 hour or up to 3 days.
- When ready to bake, pre-heat your oven to 350°F. Remove dough from the refrigerator. If it is hard as a rock allow it to stand at room temperature for a little while.
- In a small bowl, mix together enough flour and cocoa to dust your cutting board and your dough to keep it from sticking (a mix of 50/50 flour/cocoa). Using cocoa powder to dust will keep the surface of your cookies dark looking.
- Roll out your chilled dough to about 1/4″ thickness and cut out your shapes. Arrange the cutouts on parchment paper or silpats. They don’t tend to spread.
- Bake for 10 minutes, or until the surface is no longer glossy. Allow to cool completely on wire racks. They will be soft fresh out of the oven but will crisp up as they cool.
- Once cool, place the cookies in a ziplock baggie or other container and freeze until ready to use.
- Ice cream – You can make your own homemade version, or use store-bought. In either case, spread out evenly on a sheet pan, about 1 inch thick and refreeze until hard.
- Use the same cookie cutter as you used for the cookies. Place the cookie cutter in bowl of very hot water so it is warm. Quickly press down into the ice-cream. Using a metal spatula lift ice cream and cutter up, and carefully push the ice cream out. Put the cookie cutter back in the hot water in-between each cut. Working quickly, assemble your sandwiches and put them back into the freezer. Dip in course sugar, wrap or decorate however you like.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 395
- Sugar: 30.6 g
- Sodium: 130 mg
- Fat: 29.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 18.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 43.4 g
- Fiber: 1.4 g
- Protein: 6.3 g
- Cholesterol: 144.3 mg
Keywords: ice-cream sandwiches, homemade ice-cream sandwich recipes, valentines desserts, valentines day desserts