How to make the BEST Hummus! This authentic hummus recipe is light and creamy and so easy to make! Use canned or dried chickpeas and serve it up with fresh garden veggies or a plethora of optional additions. Vegan, GF.
BASIC HUMMUS INGREDIENTS:
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 –3/4 cup tahini paste (See notes. Make sure it tastes fresh, not bitter or rancid.)
- 2–3 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup water, more to desired consistency
- 1 teaspoon salt, more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper (I love white pepper here, up to you)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained (1/2 cup dried chickpeas, cooked- see notes)
Optional Additions: (Just pick one or two! keep it simple!)
- preserved lemons (1-2 tablespoons blended in)
- olive brine or caper brine (1-2 teaspoons blended in)
- smoked paprika (1/2 teaspoon for smoky flavor)
- zaatar or sumac -sprinkled over top or blended in
- zhoug – garnish or blended in (1-2 tablespoons)
- gremolata – garnish or blended in ( 1-2 tablespoons)
- harissa paste – garnish or blended in ( 1-2 tablespoons)
- Romesco Sauce – garnish or blended in
- Meyer Lemon Gremolata ( 1-2 tablespoons, overtop)
- Chimichurri Sauce (garnish)
- Yogurt or Labneh ( 1-2 tablespoons blended in) for extra creamy
- Tender herbs- parsley, mint, dill, basil – sprinkled overtop or blended in
- toasted pinenuts – garnish
- toasted sesame seeds– garnish
- marinated or warm roasted tomatoes- garnish
- warm olives-create a well and pile it in the middle
- fresh garden veggies – (carrots, cucs, radishes, snap peas, jicama, celery, tomatoes, etc)
- warm ratatouille– garnish- pile it overtop.
- marinated feta cubes ( or baby mozzarella balls)
- Marinated Fava beans
- Marinated Veggies
- kalamata olives or jumbo Caperberries
BLEND HUMMUS: Place lemon juice, garlic cloves, tahini paste olive oil and water in a food processor– whip this up until creamy. Then add the salt, pepper, cumin, chickpeas and blend until really really smooth. Add more cold water, a tablespoon at a time until it is the consistency you like and blend the heck out of this! Blend for at least a full minute or two! Taste, adjust salt and lemon. Add any additions you like.
PLATTER: Spoon the ultra-creamy hummus into a wide shallow bowl or onto a plate or platter, creating a “well” for the olive oil (or other sauces) with the back of your spoon.
Add your toppings: If using garden veggies, peel the carrots, prep other veggies, cutting all into small bite-sized “crudites” and arrange like the photos, tucking into the hummus -0r just play around with this and do your own thing.
Drizzle with olive oil. Scatter with fresh herbs. Sprinkle with spices.
If using dried chickpeas, soak 1/2 cup chickpeas in cold water (for 8-24 hours), then cook them in salted water until tender. Cool, then follow instructions. I always make a double batch if going with dried chickpeas and cook these ahead.
Tahini Paste. In winter I use 3/4 cup tahini for a richer, creamier version. In summer, I use a 1/2 cup. Most recipes out there call for a 1/4 cup- do as you like. I prefer hummus that is “heavier” on the tahini, because I love the taste of it and this is how I grew up eating it. Truly authentic. If you go with a 1/4 cup tahini- you will most likely need less garlic and less water. Taste as you go. 🙂
A TIP on Sauces: Sometimes like in the photos above, I’ll “loosen up” a sauce (like harissa paste, gremolata, or zhoug, etc) by adding extra olive oil to it. Then I’ll put it in a squeezy bottle and drizzle it around the hummus. An extra burst of flavor!
Keywords: hummus recipe, the best hummus recipe, creamy hummus, how to make hummus, authentic hummus, authentic Hummus recipe