Grilled salmon with pickled huckleberry relish. A fresh and summery meal, perfect for entertaining on dinners on the patio.
- 1 ½– 2 lb Fillet of Wild Salmon ( skin on)
- olive oil for brushing and salt and pepper
- ½ C apple wood chips ( optional)
- lemon zest and juice
- 1 ½ C fresh huckleberries
- ½ C sugar ( or honey)
- ½ C red wine vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tsp whole coriander seeds (optional)
- 1 large shallot- finely minced
Serve over a few handful of greens (arugula, baby kale, watercress) with Everyday Quinoa .
- Preheat grill to medium high. Make a little bowl out of 2-3 layers of foil the size of half a grapefruit. Place apple wood chips inside the foil bowl, and place it directly on the heating grill, close the grill lid.
- Make Relish: Place huckleberries in a medium bowl. Heat sugar ( or honey), vinegar, salt and coriander seeds in a small sauce pan and stir until sugar has dissolved. Add minced shallots and simmer two minutes. Pour over hot liquid over huckleberries, stir and set aside. You can make this ahead and refrigerate over night, or use right away.
- Brush both sides of salmon with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Once apple wood chips begin smoking, turn heat down to low, grill salmon, skin side down, directly on the grill, on lowest heat, and sprinkle with zest of one lemon, and one tablespoon thyme leaves. Close lid.
- Check after 5 minutes. Shift salmon to create crosshatch marks on the skin, and close lid again for just a few minutes. Salmon at this point will cook quickly, especially if it’s a thinner piece.
- Once salmon is cooked to medium rare or medium, turn heat off.
- Using two extra large spatulas carefully place salmon on a platter over greens. Squeeze with the juice of half a lemon. Generously spoon the pickled huckleberry relish and a little pickling liquid over the salmon and greens, and scatter with thyme sprigs. Serve immediately.
Keywords: grilled salmon recipe, grilled salmon filet, huckleberry salmon, huckleberry relish, pickled huckleberries, crispy skin salmon, how to grill salmon with skin