Authentic Harissa Paste Recipe
Authentic Harissa Paste Recipe – a north African condiment that will add depth and smokey spice to meats, stews and roasted vegetable dishes. PLUS a 5 minute cheater version! See notes.
- Bring chilies to a boil in a large pot of water, turn heat off, cover, let sit 1 hour or overnight. Toast spices and grind them.When the chilies are soft and rehydrated, drain and remove seeds and stems ( you can rinse them under running water to get them cleaned up . Place all the ingredients in a food processor and pulse until desired consistency. If you like a “looser” style add more oil.
- To store, place in sealable jar and drizzle olive oil over top after each use, to preserve. It will last 1-2 months in the fridge.As long as it’s covered with a layer of oil , it should keep well.
The preserved lemon, is especially authentic and delicious if you can find it.
FOR a Quick harissa paste, simply mix the following together in a bowl. Not authentic, but a tasty quick option!
- ¾ cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vinegar (apple cider, red or white wine)
- 2 tablespoons plus two teaspoons cumin
- 2 tablespoons plus two teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 ¾ teaspoons cayenne or chipotle powder
- 1 ¾ teaspoons salt
- 10 garlic cloves, finely minced
Keywords: harissa paste, how to make harissa paste, best harissa paste, harissa paste recipe